Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

i love working at Michaels

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

its great being around cusdtomers and all the different crafts you get to learn to do and the different challenges

Cons

the only downside is the infraction system which is good for people that abuse the sick time and call in but the people that never call in are abuse it should not get the infractions

praise your employees for what they do and give them feed back on store visits and let them know they did a good job when they do a good job and not only let them know when they do a bad job usually if they do a bad job its due to training

1057 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Great job for a number of years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Interesting merchandise, most customers are grateful and pleasant when employees are given the time to spend with them

Cons

Managers protected. Hourly workers are not. Many employees suffering bullying and verbal abuse.. Work expectations are not humanly possible in the time allotted thus giving managers an opportunity to reprimand and fire employees.

Store of the future will not work as it is set up now. Unless of course you don't want your employees to have loyalty to the company. If that's true, then it is working just fine

"Jack of all trades" should be the job title

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

* Headsets allow for great communication between employees which not only greatly benefits customers but also leads to a close-knit employees.
    * The benefits seems to be better than those offered by some other retailers.
    * For the store I'm working in, the management team is very approachable.
    * In general, there seems to be a slightly higher class of customer than in some other retailers.

Cons

* The worst, in my opinion, is that they don't have the standard break policy of most other retailers. Whether you work six hours or ten, you get one 30 minute break, and that's it. Less than that, you get one 15 minute break. Absurd to me.
    * Along with the above, sometimes you get screwed out of the 30 minute break because they'll schedule you for less than six hours, and then force you to stay longer. I've been forced to stay three hours over my scheduled time more than once. I've worked eight hours and only gotten a 15 minute break at least twice in the past few months.
    * In addition to not getting standard breaks, if you leave the store, you have to get a "bag check." This is where they check your coat, bag(s), person to ensure you haven't attempted to steal anything. This means the first part of your lunch break is spent waiting for a manager to come check you.
    * The bag check also applies to you departing for the day. You're clocked out and ready to go home, but you have to wait to be checked. And if you're closing, you have to sit with all of the other closers for however many minutes it takes the manager to get everything set for the night. I've sat for as long as 30 minutes, off the clock, waiting to be let out of the store. The average wait is about 10 minutes. That's off the clock time we're forced to stay in the store.
    * You have to do everything in the store. Cashier, stocker, customer service, cart pusher, janitor, etc. And you have to know the entire store, meaning you're not assigned to a department. The headsets help with that last part. Just be aware, though; if you are hired as a cashier, you'll also be cleaning bathrooms and pushing carts, among other things. Also, there is no training, really. You get a day of training where you shadow a cashier, then you sort of get thrown on the floor and are left to figure it out. Overwhelming isn't a strong enough word for the first few days on this job.
    * They require you fill out these cards that give the sales forecast and such for the day along with "showtimes." So stupid. We fill them out at the end of the night when it doesn't matter. And we don't care about these numbers. Are we over or under for sales? Do I get a bonus if we're over? No. Then I don't care.
    * The sale signs are a burden. Customers don't read them and it's a constant battle at the registers getting price checks because "there was a sign." The ads aren't much better. People don't read the fine print, so we're constantly having to explain the exceptions.
    * Holiday hours are brutal. Normally scheduled off at 9 or 9:30, then it backed up to 10, then 11. As a "store of the future" (what a joke), we're open to midnight on Christmas eve! But, regardless of the scheduled end of shift, we've been forced to work until midnight almost every night for a couple of weeks now because "no one leaves until it's all done." A laughably unrealistic expectation. Christmas shoppers are a whole different brand of customer, completely destroying the store from open to close. "Until it's all done" always means midnight, when we have to be off the clock, because to actually stay until it's done would require us to stay until sometime in the new year.

* When you know you're going to have your closers stay late, tell them as soon as you know it, and give them a meal break if they're ultimately going to be there more than six hours.
    * Be more considerate with the breaks. Even Walmart gives an hour for the meal break starting with eight hour shifts, and gives 15 minute breaks for every four hours.
    * Get over the bag checks. That's insulting, invasive, and a massive waste of time.
    * Don't force your employees to stay in the store once you're no longer paying them. You'll check our bags to make sure you're not stealing from you, but forcing us to stay in your store after we clock out is stealing from us.
    * Stop expecting high standards to be upheld when you're only scheduling the bare minimum and paying employees near minimum wage. Basically, stop being greedy. Your employees have bills to pay, children to raise, and would like to have something resembling a life. I'm sure you can live comfortable off your salary. Those of us working in the trenches can't even support ourselves on our pay.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores