Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Better than most places.

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Flexibility was great between school and just whenever I needed time off I generally got it, people whom I worked with were really nice,

Cons

Customers could be really mean and annoying but then again its customer service in a retail environment so what can you expect

1055 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Only work here for the extra money, not to make a living

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Managers are fairly flexible in re:giving time off
    Managers are willing (for the most part) to work around school or other job
    Co-workers are awesome
    If you work on the early morning crew, you have basically your entire day off (to go find another job)

Cons

Let me say that when I started working for Michaels several years ago, I used to LOVE my job. I loved my manager, the staff, the hours, the discount but now....I don't even know where to begin.

-anything they tell you when you are hired about approx hours of employment per week is probably a lie- I was told I would be getting up to 28 hrs a week as a part time employee, and at first I did. Over the years they've had to cut hours due to "budget" (we'll get to that later) and now some weeks I'm lucky to get 4hrs.
    -Shifts are often changed or cut completely on short notice. If the truck doesn't show up on time- they cut your hours for that day down to the minimum (2hrs) and then send you home (not so great when you had to get up at 2am to go into work).
    -When stores do not meet "forecast" or sales, they cut hours to make up for it. But on weeks when the store does make its sales goals- no extra hours are given because the store is "making up for others in the district that didn't make it".
    -The amount of work given to each person is not physically possible to finish in the time they allot for it. I've been handed a stack of over 25 hours worth of planograms, and have been given 8hrs to finish ALL of them
    - Employees are basically blamed when sales forecasts are not met.
    - Not enough hours are given out to complete the necessary weekly tasks (ex:downstocking, QOHV, etc) and as a result, there are often many empty shelves. Which means there is no product for the customer to buy. Which means stores don't make sales. Which means more hours get cut. Which means there is no product being put out for the customer to buy because there is no staff in the store to put it on the shelf(you get the cycle yet?) I have no idea how corporate hasn't figured that one out yet.
    -The DM (District Manager) talks down to employees. The DM has called mandatory 2hr staff meetings at early morning hours (before 9am) on the weekend.
    -Michaels treats their employees like criminals. Mandatory bag checks and that includes your lunch kit/plastic bag/coffee mug- EVERYTHING. Oh and if you have something that sounds like its jingling in your sweater or jacket, you are forced to take it off/empty the pockets inside out to show that you haven't stolen anything. I'm waiting for the day when they pat us down as we leave from work. I've heard they're installing cameras in stores now- which means they'll probably have to cut more hours in order to pay for them and get someone to go through the tapes and find the employee shoplifters.
    - The wage that they pay is absolutely disgusting. Minimum wage in most cases. There are yearly "reviews" given to each employee, where they basically tell you all the stuff they think you're doing wrong in order to justify only giving you a $0.20 raise. If you try and justify a higher raise (by saying all the good things you do) they won't listen. There are no benefits for part time employees either (no matter how long you've been with the company).
    -The managers tend to play favorites- whoever they like more gets more hours. It doesn't matter if someones a harder worker or not. I'd suggest sucking up to whoever does the schedule almost immediately in order to guarantee you get more then the 4hrs the rest of us are getting.
    -The DM/Managers like to play the blame game. They try and make all the employees accountable for every single thing in the store, so that way they don't have to be. You're required to fill out little cards at the beginning of every shift (which wastes even more time that you don't have) saying what your responsibilities are for the day. That way when you don't get all your work done (you never will) you can get blamed by management for not completing your workload- because its your fault if the company loses sales (you should know that by now).
    -The store where I work there is supposed to be a team of more than 15 people unloading the truck in 5 hours. We currently have a team of less than 8. Still only 5 hours is allotted to finish the truck. Just goes to show it's all about the numbers and the money for corporate.
    -Working during "peak season" (October-December) is absolute chaos.
    -Little to no thanks/gratitude/praise is given for a job well done, but a lot of criticism is given when something is done wrong.
    - God help you, if you wind up working at night and have to recover the store- 1 person expected to clean over 40 aisles in 4 hours. You do the math- they'd literally have to sprint up and down the aisles throwing items into place in order to get it all done in time. Oh yes that's right, recovery never gets done in time. Which is why when you come into work in the morning- everythings an absolute disaster from the day before (and the day before and the day before).

Here's an idea for corporate- try working in a high volume Michaels store for just a month, Heck even a week. I would love to see you do what we do, for the amount of money you pay us, and tell me how you like your job then. Corporate is so out of touch with what's actually going on in the stores, it's appalling. You're losing sales because you're not giving out hours to staff in order to ensure great customer service is given and that there are products out on the shelf for the customer to buy. It's not that hard to figure out. If you paid more than minimum wage, maybe you'd be able to retain staff for longer than 3 months and have people who are, once again, passionate about their jobs and customer service.

Terrible

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

overall flexible scheduling (for now)
    ideas are usually taken into consideration at the store level, but this varies store to store.

Cons

little to no raises
    make you sign a sheet saying you will not post or say anything bad about them (1st amendment).
    given annoyed looks when you ask to take your break.
    customers are extremely rude.
    incompetent corporate, we are often made to do things two or three times because things are frequently messed up at the corporate end.
    manager has to buy bags out of his own pocket frequently from local office stores as we are not given enough of a budget to buy necessary supplies.
    restrooms are often out of soap and paper towels
    employees are now required to scrub the bathrooms because corporate no longer will pay for janitors.

the CEO came from Walmart and by the way the company has been run since he took over you can tell it plainly.

fire everyone at the corporate level and start over.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores