Michaels Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

AWESOME company!!!

Current Employee - Distribution Center Worker in Centralia, WA
Current Employee - Distribution Center Worker in Centralia, WA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very concerned about all of their employees, really great benefits, progressive company, creative thinking, open to all new ideas, big into internal promotions and development, just an overall GREAT company!

Cons

The overtime is nice to get but continous overtime can be tiring...they try hard to keep up excited with BBQ's, ice cream, games, etc., it can just be a lot of hours when you work 9 hours everyday for 5 days.

1057 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Hopefully and isolated incident, but Michaels Management needs a lot of work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Missoula, MT

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers and happy customers were the only things that helped me feel any sense of job satisfaction.

Flexibility in scheduling. Whenever I had a sudden scheduling conflict, my manager took it upon herself to find a replacement. She knew who was in greatest need of picking up extra hours.

Cons

Treatment by management was terrible. Michaels tells you on day one while watching their orientation videos that they offer competitive wages. Minimum wage is not competitive. There were too many workers, each usually only getting about 8 hours a week, even during the busiest time of the year. I was given a poor annual review; my store manager claimed that as a cashier I didn't know enough about the responsibilities of floor associates. I feel that was unfair because I constantly asked to be trained in the other areas and asked for ways I could improve my knowledge. I was denied that which would have provided me a better review, and a better raise. I felt it was as if they wanted me to quit. I had 115% on my cashier report (somehow) so I don't know why I didn't score better in other areas.

I was turned down for a promotion because they gave it to someone who they didn't want working directly with customers anymore. They had complaint after complaint with this person, and had many valid reasons to terminate employment, but instead moved said person to a position where they would never interact with customers. Instead of terminating and giving the position to a deserving person, they gave the higher paying job with more hours away.

Also, there was basically no training. I was thrown onto a cash register with my log on numbers, watched for about 10 minutes, and then told to ask when I had questions. If you look into this job, I hope you have either a lot of self confidence or experience cashiering because you'll need to catch on quickly. Luckily it's easier than being at a grocery store. It did take a great deal of pestering supervisors to learn the system properly.

Treat your employees like people, not like tissue paper or other disposable items. Reward them when they do well; don't wait for them to do something wrong. An employee should always know where they stand without having to wait for an annual review to find out negative remarks. Make sure there is something good to say or you yourself will end up with reviews like this.

Disorganized, not enough hours or communication.

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Twenty Five percent Employee Discount, Access to Blackstone Marketplace website, can check your schedule, change availability, and request time off all online.

Cons

Not given the amount of hours agreed upon, apparently expected to know everything right away and not near enough training, very disorganized and sloppy with hiring procedures/paperwork, lots of drama between co-workers, felt out of place and not very welcomed.

Make sure people are getting the proper training so they can actually do their job how they are supposed to, be more organized and professional with paperwork and hiring procedures. Talk to your employees if there are any issues with them before shoving them into another position.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores