Michaels Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Love it!

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager
Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores (more than an year)

Pros

- Michael's likes to promote from within when they can. In 2 years, I was promoted from Sales Associate to Customer Experience Manager. If you are a hard worker, work well with fellow employees and customers alike, and have a friendly personality, you can get promoted. Be sure to let the Store Manager know that you are interested in growing with the company, so they keep you in mind. When positions open up in your store, interview for them!
- How good of an experience you will have will largely depend on your team, especially Store Manager (SM). I am lucky to have an awesome SM, great team of fellow department managers, and good group of associates. I love the people I work with and enjoy our customers.
- Senior management listens to what customers want. Customers wanted more alphabet sticker options and by the next year, we had 3 sections instead of one.

Cons

- Limited full time / lead positions in our store.
- Can't be a manager AND class instructor.

Get more hours on the sales floor so we can:
- Continue to provide our customers with the help they need in finding things and
- Make sure the store remains neat and clean for the customer

1022 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Management needs to wake up before it is too late!

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Not much I can say other than it is a job.

Cons

Management is constantly out to get you. Do not expect them to actually live up to what they promise, especially if it is from the District Manager, and especially if it has anything to do with a promotion.
    Mgmt always looks for ways to cut hours and payroll, despite all the new planograms and moves that need to be done, or on truck days. Try closing a large store with one cashier and one employee on the sales floor, that is just ridiculous

Get back to basics. Realize the actual true need for staffing, and start to listen to your employees. Most of all, don't promise something that you can not or do not intend on following thru on. It is just a guaranteed way of killing morale.

Used to love it

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with, store management seem to be really passionate about their job and supporting their employees

Cons

Corporate has their heads up their rears about so many things. They want a small mom and pop store feel but don't give the payroll to allow us to provide that service. Problem employees are kept because HR won't allow us to terminate them while star employees are being pushed out the door.

You say the customer is the boss, but the customers all want more staffing in the store. Make the hourly associates feel valued by giving them more than 2-ply toilet paper (seriously, you consider this a bragging point?) When the employees feel valued they do more to help the business and the customers. Everyone wins.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores