Michaels Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Nice Business

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Homestead, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Homestead, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly Co-workers, great place, and reasonable hours for part-time.

Cons

Hours sometimes are changed mid-week.

1020 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Michael's needs to give out more hours, and have more than one cashier during a shift

Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can take any class that is offered for free! Employee discount is fairly good.

Cons

Hours are barley given as it is, but the manager still finds time to hire more people! Tilts are not counted after ever shift, their counted at the end of the day, so if someone was short before you, you are short as well! A cashier job is not just a cashier, your expected to answer phones, show a customer where something is, oh and at the same time deal with angry people yelling at you because your the only cashier for 5 hours! And depending on the day/time, you may have someone help you at checkout.

Stop hiring people when, there are not enough hours given out to your staff already. Managers need to stop being lazy and count tilts after each cashier is done, instead of playing the guessing game at the end of the day to see who made the tilt short.

Customers were great, manager not so much

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Garland, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

helping customers with projects was pretty awesome - I developed a near-encyclopedic knowledge of the contents of the store and that, coupled with some previous craft experience, meant that I could often give customers outside the box suggestions about their projects.

Cons

I was hired in October and through the holidays there were plenty of hours for all of us. After the holidays were over, rather than letting anyone go, we started seeing schedules with like eight hours a week. Sometimes we'd be scheduled for short shifts that hardly even felt worth coming in for. I worked hard and was one of the more reliable employees but still got the short end of the stick. I could make up those hours some weeks by taking shifts for other employees but it became pretty ridiculous.

Paying people minimum wage and giving them minimal hours is not the way to attract quality employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores