There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Michael's needs to give out more hours, and have more than one cashier during a shift

Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can take any class that is offered for free! Employee discount is fairly good.

Cons

Hours are barley given as it is, but the manager still finds time to hire more people! Tilts are not counted after ever shift, their counted at the end of the day, so if someone was short before you, you are short as well! A cashier job is not just a cashier, your expected to answer phones, show a customer where something is, oh and at the same time deal with angry people yelling at you because your the only cashier for 5 hours! And depending on the day/time, you may have someone help you at checkout.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people when, there are not enough hours given out to your staff already. Managers need to stop being lazy and count tilts after each cashier is done, instead of playing the guessing game at the end of the day to see who made the tilt short.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. Management over using power

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Michaels now for about 15 months. When I first started I loved my job, in fact I have up until recently when some changes were mad. I love the interaction with customers and the employees. I like to feel like I am working with a family. It makes working more enjoyable.

Cons

Now for the cons. I am all for change but don't like it when someone comes in and completely turns everything upside down. I understand using the point system, but I think the first time someone has to call in they shouldn't be given a point. Now if they call in again close to the first one I can understand because it will become a habit. Those of us that never call in and work no matter what shouldn't be punished. I am very upset about this. Never late, always early, always volunteers to work extra if needed. I just don't understand. It makes me crazy. Another thing is the pay for Customer Experience Managers should be more. For what we deal with it is not enough. And need more hours and payroll to make sure that the customers are taken care of.

Advice to Management

Loosen up a little and come down to earth with the rest of us.

Great company to work for and easy to get promoted.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a lot of job opportunities.

Cons

management works 60-72 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

Company does a lot of incentives for their employees.