There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Fantastic coworkers, terrible policies.

Current Employee - Cashier in Palm Coast, FL
Current Employee - Cashier in Palm Coast, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employees are great. You come to work feeling excited to work with everyone. The majority of the time, the costumers are positive and great to interact with. The discounts as an employee are also fantastic.

Cons

Most recently, the policies have changed since I began working back in June 2012. As a cashier, we are no longer getting more then 3.5hrs per shift, regardless of how many hours we are actually available. They put us on for the maximum amount of hours without giving us breaks, while all other positions in the store get 4+ hours in a shift. If we are asked to cover a shift before or after ours, it is nearly impossible to get assistance in order to take a break or get a lunch.

Also new to the company, if you do not get 15% email collection, after 2-3 months, you are fired. The majority of our customers are regulars who do not want to give their email to us every other day. It makes for a very frustrating work experience.

Allow employees to have more hours if they are available to work them. Customers will appreciate having more sales associates and cashiers on during busy hours at the store.

reviews filtered by

Great company to work for and easy to get promoted.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a lot of job opportunities.

Cons

management works 60-72 hrs a week.

Company does a lot of incentives for their employees.

Horrible.

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

25% discount if you're into arts and crafts.

Cons

Competitive minimum wages. Personally under constant scrutiny from all three managers. I do the work of 3 people there, work constant over nights from midnight to past noon, and yet I'm still treated as if I'm the slowest person on the planet. Money is the bottom line. Too many employees getting 5 hours a week. No training unless you're on replenishment. Impossible time limits for unloading trucks.

Quit thinking you are better than everyone else. You are not important. You all are just people who've spent too many years of their lives working for Michael's and somehow got promoted above sales floor.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores