There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Fantastic coworkers, terrible policies.

Current Employee - Cashier in Palm Coast, FL
Current Employee - Cashier in Palm Coast, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are great. You come to work feeling excited to work with everyone. The majority of the time, the costumers are positive and great to interact with. The discounts as an employee are also fantastic.

Cons

Most recently, the policies have changed since I began working back in June 2012. As a cashier, we are no longer getting more then 3.5hrs per shift, regardless of how many hours we are actually available. They put us on for the maximum amount of hours without giving us breaks, while all other positions in the store get 4+ hours in a shift. If we are asked to cover a shift before or after ours, it is nearly impossible to get assistance in order to take a break or get a lunch. Also new to the company, if you do not get 15% email collection, after 2-3 months, you are fired. The majority of our customers are regulars who do not want to give their email to us every other day. It makes for a very frustrating work experience.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to have more hours if they are available to work them. Customers will appreciate having more sales associates and cashiers on during busy hours at the store.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Managers have no clue what they are doing!

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly co-workers, flexible schedule, those are the only good things about this place

Cons

The four managers here have no idea what they are doing. I just started a couple of weeks ago and I am already looking for another job. The managers each tell you different rules or different ways to do them so you get in trouble when doing it a different way you were. And god forbid you ask them to help you with something, they give you attitude even though you are still learning. They are not professional, constantly talking badly about workers in front of customers and other workers. Customers always complain about what a poorly run business this is. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together, be more tolerable of mistakes and be more understanding

Hostile corporate environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair salary, overall people are nice. Good opportunity for people right out of school versus experienced.

Cons

Working at corporate was a hostile experience. Lack of tools needed to get the job done. Many people in management have been with company for a long time and get moved into jobs they are not experienced at.

Advice to Management

Listen and seek opinions and feedback from those under management. The open door policy did not feel open and people are afraid to speak up in this company.