There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Fun Friendly place to work

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Brockville, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Cashier in Brockville, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome staff and friendly customers

Cons

low end of the salary scale

930 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

A nightmare

Current Employee - Part Time Framer
    Current Employee - Part Time Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Having the a great Team I worked with, and everyone is friendly.

Cons

Scheduling is a nightmare. I didn't mind getting extra hours for being part time during the holiday but the hours given where crazy, demanding, and gave me no life. I was scheduled to work late one day till 11:00 pm then told to come in at 5am the next day. I understand the need for more people needed around the holidays but there were other part timers who were getting less hours than I did (like 6hrs per week). So, I went from almost 35 hrs a week to just 4 hrs a week, because of the holidays, and possibly the store manager disliking certain people. I had only asked for 3 days off for christmas and ended up with working one day a week. There were times where I was asked to stay an extra 30 minutes because they had no employee working. A lot of micro managing happens at the store. The attendance policy is ridiculous. I recently received half a point because apparently I had clocked in early and stayed for a 12 hour shift, which I never did. I confronted a manager and all I got was "sorry, sorry, sorry" repeatedly. Basically I got punished for a managers mistake and none of the manager informed me about it or bothered to fix it. So this led to my pay getting messed up and they decided to not pay for a day I worked. I tried to confront someone politely about it but all I get is repeated information and them not understanding or not wanting to understand the issue. (avoiding me) Being at work is very stressful when it shouldn't be, sometimes its hard to get someone to help out when you need it. I've only been working there for a few months, and I dislike it. There were also times where no one was informed about current sales and coupons until last minute or during sales. I was also called in on day offs and was told all I had to do was help with certain things and I wouldn't have to deal with other issues, but upon arrival I was pretty much dealing with every issue. So management will lure employees in with lies, and empty promises. There is no work/life balance at Michaels.

The scheduling system needs reform. The stores need more people out on the floor to help customers, because custom framing seems to be the only place consumers can get answers. This disrupts the framing workshop workflow.

the company is unfair to employees

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great employees and wonderful customers

Cons

All about money to the upper people...all the while giving employees from 3 to 10cent raises
    I was a store manager there for 15 years and watched it go downhill
    every practice they put in place made it harder to retain good people
    they said they were for family work balance for managers but we were open on thanksgiving
    what a joke have dinner with your family haha but open your store at 4 or 5 pm

get out before you are swallowed up

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!