There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

This store was a fun, but stressful enviornment to work in.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in San Clemente, CA
Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a great discount and you get a lot of ideas for crafts and projects. The break room was nice and the rules were agreeable.

Cons

The amount of glitter and other crafting supplies on my clothes and shoes did not make me happy. As well as the Christmas time cinnamon smell that didn't leave my nose the entire season I worked there. Also go backs and closing at the end of the night would take an extremely long time, because of the vast amount of small items that were in the wrong place.

The management at my store needed some improvement. They seemed to be a little to easy on their favorites.

990 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Power Hungry Manager

Current Employee - Cashier in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are awesome to work with, everyone gets along and I love that about my job.

Cons

There is one manager who is beyond power hungry and claims to explain everything to you when in all honesty it's a lie. I feel they look for ways to fire you even though you are a major good contribution to the store.

You need to fully evaluate who you hire as management, because some people take the title entirely too seriously.

Points system and management are very immature.

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most coworkers are great to work with and customers, in general, are fun. Getting to know how many arts and crafts things there are in the world is amazing.

Cons

Points system. You get a point if you are sick. You get a point if you leave 30 seconds early. You get a point if you clock out more than 5 minutes past your shift. You get a point if management reschedules your work hours at the last minute, which happens frequently, and you cannot work that shift. After 6 points, you are terminated. These are in the employee handbook. Management has "nicknames" for every employee and most of them are too vulgar to repeat here. No one is properly trained, just thrown in the mix and told to "figure it out". There is no room for advancement unless someone leaves. A 3 cent raise after working for 1 year is ridiculous. Stock needs to be looked at. Truck deliveries bring in tons of merchandise that is duplicated throughout the store and in some cases will never be sold.

Constantly berating employees by district manager does no one any good. Being told every time you do something wrong that you will be fired also keeps morale low. Train people. Put the right amount of people on a truck shift. 3000+ pieces with 6 people takes a while!

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores