Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
  www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Points system and management are very immature.

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Bridgewater, NJ
Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most coworkers are great to work with and customers, in general, are fun. Getting to know how many arts and crafts things there are in the world is amazing.

Cons

Points system. You get a point if you are sick. You get a point if you leave 30 seconds early. You get a point if you clock out more than 5 minutes past your shift. You get a point if management reschedules your work hours at the last minute, which happens frequently, and you cannot work that shift. After 6 points, you are terminated. These are in the employee handbook. Management has "nicknames" for every employee and most of them are too vulgar to repeat here. No one is properly trained, just thrown in the mix and told to "figure it out". There is no room for advancement unless someone leaves. A 3 cent raise after working for 1 year is ridiculous. Stock needs to be looked at. Truck deliveries bring in tons of merchandise that is duplicated throughout the store and in some cases will never be sold.

Constantly berating employees by district manager does no one any good. Being told every time you do something wrong that you will be fired also keeps morale low. Train people. Put the right amount of people on a truck shift. 3000+ pieces with 6 people takes a while!

1056 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Horrible.

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

25% discount if you're into arts and crafts.

Cons

Competitive minimum wages. Personally under constant scrutiny from all three managers. I do the work of 3 people there, work constant over nights from midnight to past noon, and yet I'm still treated as if I'm the slowest person on the planet. Money is the bottom line. Too many employees getting 5 hours a week. No training unless you're on replenishment. Impossible time limits for unloading trucks.

Quit thinking you are better than everyone else. You are not important. You all are just people who've spent too many years of their lives working for Michael's and somehow got promoted above sales floor.

Unfare & feeling cheated for all the sincere & hard work that I put in.

Current Employee - Certified Framer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Framer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creative environment. I go to work in this place for the work that I do & for the customer's.

Cons

Does not stick to the principles of the company. Does not give fare chance to all hardworking associates. Management say's something & does something else.

People with special skills need to be payed a little more than regular associates. Sincerity of an associate needs too be rewarded by proper pay or bonuses. There is a difference between associates who do specialized work & regular floor associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores