Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Like trying to get blood from a turnip.

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Department Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

The fact that seasonal merchandise changes frequently, makes it an interesting place to work, and most of the coworkers try their best to get everything they've been assigned completed.

Cons

The company doesn't want to spend money on payroll. Most people have do the work of three. And management is continually harped on by corporate to get more done with less. They don't care about the customer at all, just the bottom line.

If you truly cared about your customers, start caring about your employees. They are your front line, and when they're miserable, your customers will be too.

Other reviews for Michaels Stores

Fantastic coworkers, terrible policies.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Palm Coast, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Palm Coast, FL

Pros

The employees are great. You come to work feeling excited to work with everyone. The majority of the time, the costumers are positive and great to interact with. The discounts as an employee are also fantastic.

Cons

Most recently, the policies have changed since I began working back in June 2012. As a cashier, we are no longer getting more then 3.5hrs per shift, regardless of how many hours we are actually available. They put us on for the maximum amount of hours without giving us breaks, while all other positions in the store get 4+ hours in a shift. If we are asked to cover a shift before or after ours, it is nearly impossible to get assistance in order to take a break or get a lunch.

Also new to the company, if you do not get 15% email collection, after 2-3 months, you are fired. The majority of our customers are regulars who do not want to give their email to us every other day. It makes for a very frustrating work experience.

Allow employees to have more hours if they are available to work them. Customers will appreciate having more sales associates and cashiers on during busy hours at the store.

Depends on the position

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor  in  Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Buena Park, CA

Pros

It's definitely a plus to work here if you like to shop here. The discount comes in handy.

Cons

Customer service is a nightmare. While the company is currently undergoing a lot of changes and may be different than when I worked there, there were many policies that customers were unhappy with or that didn't make sense. Customers took out their frustration on the cashiers.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!