There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

the company is unfair to employees

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great employees and wonderful customers

Cons

All about money to the upper people...all the while giving employees from 3 to 10cent raises
I was a store manager there for 15 years and watched it go downhill
every practice they put in place made it harder to retain good people
they said they were for family work balance for managers but we were open on thanksgiving
what a joke have dinner with your family haha but open your store at 4 or 5 pm

get out before you are swallowed up

924 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

soul killing nightmare

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great coworkers, fun to be around arts and crafts, I didn't mind the grunt work

Cons

Higher level management, policy, inhumane practices.
    - They throw away NEW products that aren't selling or weren't used during events or demonstrations.
    -when you are working on the "floor" as a sales associate, you are responsible for completing your tasks in an allotted time, regardless of how many customers you help. This is impossible. And you are punished with threats, warnings, etc. for not doing the impossible. BUT, they want you to quit so they can replace you with someone who they will pay minimum wage. And they will do the same thing to them so all of their associates never make more than minimum wage.
    - they eliminate positions to get rid of employees then re-create these positions a month later so that they can get someone new and pay minimum wage.
    - They expect 50 year old, sweater knitting, grandmothers to unload merchandise, and then they punish them when they don;t do it as fast as they "should".
    - They ofter no benefits.
    -They don't want to pay overtime, so employees are fired after starting or ENDING work more than 3 minutes late. Not sure how your supposed to tell a customer "Ya, I'm off the clock so I have to stop helping you frame your artwork or find the paint you need". The employees care about the work they do, and often will ask the customer to excuse them while they go clock out, and then go back to finish helping the customer off the clock.
    -in store managers, who are on salary, also often end up working 7 days per week.

Thank you... after working for you, every job I've had has felt like heaven.
    Really though, the way you treat your employees is unforgivable.

Store of the Future? You Can't Be Serious...

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Fun place to work
    2. You have the opportunity to explore every kind of creative activity known to man
    3. Excellent merchandise selection
    4. If they're out of a product, they can special order it for you no problems.
    5. Customers tend to be sugar sweet (for the most part)

Cons

1. Constantly having to grill customers for emails (they don't like that AT ALL). Especially if they're regulars, and have already given it...
    2. Since our store entered the first phase of Store of the Future, our customer service has suffered greatly. From open to about noon there is only a manager who has to deal with all the opening procedures and paperwork, not to mention catching up on district related emails in the back office. Then there is the lone cashier; the only employee to be seen anywhere in the store (other than framing). What happened to the sales people on the sales floor; you know, the ones who show the customers where to go, discuss the products with the customers so we can make juicy sales, the ones who can jump on a register if the cashier gets swamped. Yeah, THOSE sales people! Store of the Future has axed that completely, especially in the mornings. God forbid the cashier has to go and do a price check herself because the manager is on a conference call, or is caught in Framing because they're swamped or busy doing a CSO, and suddenly she's got 10 customers flagging her down 'where's this and where's that'. NOT COOL!
    3. Khaki pants...really? Who thought that was a good idea for a craft store? Let's just jump on the 'everyone's doing it' bandwagon and alienate our customers who rely on us to BE creative and inspiring. No, instead we must look like 'mindless automatons', joining the fray of strange sameness that most all retail chains are drowning in...khaki slacks . We are a craft store, where creativity is supposed to be paramount...yet we look like retail clones of so many other retail chains...
    4. 'Expert T-shirts'...anyone can say they're a Brain Surgeon, but the proof is in the doing. If we're allowed to wear what we make, or showcase the craft we're best at, that may add some clout to our claim of experthood, especially in the eyes of the customer relying on us to be an expert.
    4. Understaffed
    5. No real opportunity for growth or moving up. I've seen people in the same position for 5-6 years, and never move up...it's typical for retail...it feels kinda dead end.
    6. Never enough hours, and way to many people being hired and underutilized.

Work out the hours vs. hiring dilemma. So many people and so few hours makes so little sense. Figure out how Store of the Future is supposed to function, and help the rest of us understand it, because it makes no sense thus far. Create a training environment where HANDS ON is the norm...I'm sorry, but reading an SOP and signing it is not the same as actually DOING the task one is 'training' for. This new training system is hardly empowering nor does it promote self confidence in one's ability to perform the new task. It seems like things have gotten so much worse since we switched over. Make certain your people are getting their breaks when they're supposed to. You're the 'mother hen' so to speak, it's up to you to make sure we're productive...and part of being productive is being allowed to rest our tired feet on a break. Make an effort to make each person feel as if they're part of something greater than themselves. Make sure we are all involved in what's happening in the store...it's good for morale, and people will feel involved and useful.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!