Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
  www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Overall a good company to work for as long as you work hard.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Princeton, NJ
Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My store manager and co-workers are great. The pay is very good compared to other retail stores. Hours are good if you are a hard worker and there are plenty of oppurtunites to advance in the company if you learn quick and work hard.

Cons

Extremely needy customers and absolutely no product knowledge traning. Payroll is unrealistically allocated to each store causing long lines, messy stores, a lot of returns, and angry customers. Outdated technology and countless errors from simple spelling mistakes in policies to computer program errors.

Corporate needs to realize that their silly ideas like walking around with a cart full of baskets will not make customers happy. More registers open and more people on the sales floor are needed to actually say hello to and help every single customer. Work on payroll and traning.

1020 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Crafty nonsense

Former Employee - Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great if you are into crafts or the least bit creative. great for someone with no responsibilities like a high school or college student or older person just wanting something to do. Asst. Store manager was the best!

Cons

Unless you are management, it's all part time. Unless you can get on the replenishment crew, your shifts rotate. Rotating shifts and children do not mix, could not afford babysitting.

take a good luck at who you are promoting and or hiring from the outside. you are stepping over the people who started at the bottom and worked their way up.

If you value being treated fairly and with respect, look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great associates at store level. Lots of seasonal merchandise, can be fun. Rotating weekends for mgmt.

Cons

Communication is terrible. it is either nonexistent, or completely overwhelming. They change direction by the hour sometimes and seem to be completely detached from store operations, not realizing customers must be helped and cashiering, trucks, etc.There seems to be a "shoot first, ask questions later (or don't ask) mentality within field management and executives. In my experience the dm in my market was very disengaged from my particular store. He was hardly there and unresponsive to the needs of the business there. He is basically a mouthpiece that spends the majority of his time show boating for executives. He makes a lot of great promises and doesn't make good on them.

Develop your employees and care about their growth. Most of us are here because of our passion and drive to succeed, not just a paycheck.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores