There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Great job for college students and pays decently well for those who decide to stay

Current Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are usually laid back, customers are mostly friendly and are excited about the products, and the work hours are very flexible. For entry-level, it is a good place to work.

Cons

Don't always get enough work hours, don't always have enough people working to finish all tasks, and turn over rate is high so you are always training new people. Also, specifically at my store, the replenishment hours are ridiculously early. Sometimes can be repetitive work.

Advice to Management

Honesty is always the best policy.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

its all about the bottom line

Current Employee - Framing Manager
    Current Employee - Framing Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ok benefits, great coworkers, decent schedule for a retail job, for the most part a fun work enviroment, ok dress code

Cons

as a corporation, they try to promote this image of caring about the employees, but its really whatever will save them a cent. crappy raises, basically you just make enough to keep up with the rate of inflation. i have never experienced so much miromanagement in my life

Management doesn't seem to value their employees' contributions, and doesn't treat them with respect.

Former Employee - Lease Administrative
    Former Employee - Lease Administrative

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Coworkers in (related) departments other than mine were helpful when I had questions regarding job functions.

Cons

When I found cost savings, I was rudely asked why I hadn't discovered them sooner, rather than being recognized for my discovery. When I asked for help, I was told I should already know the procedures, made to feel like an idiot, and was left to fend for myself. I did not feel there was a strong team environment -- rather, a competitive, 'every man for himself' vibe which led to employees brown-nosing to seek favor with management. Not much room for advancement. HR was not neutral in any way -- any issues I brought to them were discussed with management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people! I wish managers knew how much improving employee morale and recognizing their strengths and accomplishments can go toward improving productivity. Sometimes when management members are older, have been in the same position for years and are more set in their ways, they are less likely to 'think outside the box' and welcome new ideas and procedures. Don't act like a despot and still believe you can expect excellence from your team.