There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

just okay for most people

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager
Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

flexible scheduling, access to materials to test out before you buy them, not horrible music on the PA

Cons

uncooperative management teams, unmotivated sales and cashier staff, no payroll for training new employees, a new corporate program every three weeks, needy and arrogant customers, no support from corporate when enforcing policies - always have to roll over and let the customers walk all over you, associate discount does not include sale items - which almost everything is.

Advice to Management

stop trying to constantly implement new programs and tweak the ones you already have. also, evaluate your distribution of payroll hours.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great job for college students and pays decently well for those who decide to stay

Current Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are usually laid back, customers are mostly friendly and are excited about the products, and the work hours are very flexible. For entry-level, it is a good place to work.

Cons

Don't always get enough work hours, don't always have enough people working to finish all tasks, and turn over rate is high so you are always training new people. Also, specifically at my store, the replenishment hours are ridiculously early. Sometimes can be repetitive work.

Advice to Management

Honesty is always the best policy.

2. Very nice place to work.

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, the working environment had a positive effect on my perception on retail work and store maintenance. Management policy and store cleanliness maintenance and go-backs seemed to flow acceptably, and I can safely say that the team environment was very helpful to my perspective on how work hours go. I only regret that I couldn't be of more help within that limited time to them.

Cons

Not much I could say. I didn't have much time to stay there, since I was only working seasonal part-time. Nevertheless, from what I gathered, not much, if at all. Also, the reason for my lack of opinion on the CEO themselves had to do with me never having seen any example of their work directly. Otherwise, my perspective of them is rather positive.

Advice to Management

Not much I can remember that would help, except perhaps maybe have a sort of system for the go-backs? Then again, the time I worked was December 2007 to January 2008. Might have changed that ever since already.