Going nowhere fast; worst place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good job for a people person. Flexible hours. I like most of my fellow employees, currently even including most of the management.

Cons

Run on a skeleton crew so you can't give good customer service. Some shifts as short as 3 hours. Very poor pay and stingy raises. They have steadily and drastically cut hours in the 2 years I have been here; we are working our asses off all the time! Not that I mind working hard, but we are not adequately compensated. They did away with the Front End Supervisor, so cashiers perform many of the same functions with no additional pay. Constant pressure to collect emails of customers. Also some of their merchandise is crap and you kind of feel bad ripping people off.

Share a little of the wealth and pay your employees a living wage! BTW I am actively looking for another job.

Other Reviews for Michaels Stores

its all about the bottom line

Current Employee - Framing Manager
    Current Employee - Framing Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ok benefits, great coworkers, decent schedule for a retail job, for the most part a fun work enviroment, ok dress code

Cons

as a corporation, they try to promote this image of caring about the employees, but its really whatever will save them a cent. crappy raises, basically you just make enough to keep up with the rate of inflation. i have never experienced so much miromanagement in my life

Management doesn't seem to value their employees' contributions, and doesn't treat them with respect.

Former Employee - Lease Administrative
    Former Employee - Lease Administrative

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Coworkers in (related) departments other than mine were helpful when I had questions regarding job functions.

Cons

When I found cost savings, I was rudely asked why I hadn't discovered them sooner, rather than being recognized for my discovery. When I asked for help, I was told I should already know the procedures, made to feel like an idiot, and was left to fend for myself. I did not feel there was a strong team environment -- rather, a competitive, 'every man for himself' vibe which led to employees brown-nosing to seek favor with management. Not much room for advancement. HR was not neutral in any way -- any issues I brought to them were discussed with management.

Treat your employees like people! I wish managers knew how much improving employee morale and recognizing their strengths and accomplishments can go toward improving productivity. Sometimes when management members are older, have been in the same position for years and are more set in their ways, they are less likely to 'think outside the box' and welcome new ideas and procedures. Don't act like a despot and still believe you can expect excellence from your team.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!