Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
  www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Management doesn't seem to value their employees' contributions, and doesn't treat them with respect.

Former Employee - Lease Administrative
Former Employee - Lease Administrative

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Coworkers in (related) departments other than mine were helpful when I had questions regarding job functions.

Cons

When I found cost savings, I was rudely asked why I hadn't discovered them sooner, rather than being recognized for my discovery. When I asked for help, I was told I should already know the procedures, made to feel like an idiot, and was left to fend for myself. I did not feel there was a strong team environment -- rather, a competitive, 'every man for himself' vibe which led to employees brown-nosing to seek favor with management. Not much room for advancement. HR was not neutral in any way -- any issues I brought to them were discussed with management.

Treat your employees like people! I wish managers knew how much improving employee morale and recognizing their strengths and accomplishments can go toward improving productivity. Sometimes when management members are older, have been in the same position for years and are more set in their ways, they are less likely to 'think outside the box' and welcome new ideas and procedures. Don't act like a despot and still believe you can expect excellence from your team.

1057 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

just okay for most people

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

flexible scheduling, access to materials to test out before you buy them, not horrible music on the PA

Cons

uncooperative management teams, unmotivated sales and cashier staff, no payroll for training new employees, a new corporate program every three weeks, needy and arrogant customers, no support from corporate when enforcing policies - always have to roll over and let the customers walk all over you, associate discount does not include sale items - which almost everything is.

stop trying to constantly implement new programs and tweak the ones you already have. also, evaluate your distribution of payroll hours.

Bittersweet

Current Employee - Certified Framer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Certified Framer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Making new friends with employees.
    Helping customers with creativity/crafty ideas.
    25% regular discount
    Shopping/Health Benefits

Cons

Dealing with customers getting upset for no reason.
    Sometimes seen as just another body used to help around the store.
    Picking up items left in wrong places due to customers.
    GLITTER, especially during the holidays.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores