Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Management doesn't seem to value their employees' contributions, and doesn't treat them with respect.

Former Employee - Lease Administrative
Former Employee - Lease Administrative

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Coworkers in (related) departments other than mine were helpful when I had questions regarding job functions.

Cons

When I found cost savings, I was rudely asked why I hadn't discovered them sooner, rather than being recognized for my discovery. When I asked for help, I was told I should already know the procedures, made to feel like an idiot, and was left to fend for myself. I did not feel there was a strong team environment -- rather, a competitive, 'every man for himself' vibe which led to employees brown-nosing to seek favor with management. Not much room for advancement. HR was not neutral in any way -- any issues I brought to them were discussed with management.

Treat your employees like people! I wish managers knew how much improving employee morale and recognizing their strengths and accomplishments can go toward improving productivity. Sometimes when management members are older, have been in the same position for years and are more set in their ways, they are less likely to 'think outside the box' and welcome new ideas and procedures. Don't act like a despot and still believe you can expect excellence from your team.

1159 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

First job. Nothing Special

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees were helpful and fun. Certain managers made you want to come to work. Lots. of pizza.

Cons

Certain managers made you want to avoid work. Inconsistent hours. Too much work, not enough personnel, yet expected to complete all. Late hours. Minimum wage.

None.

Not good for management

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There can be great bonus potential

Cons

Not a quality of life and major micro-managing

Invest the time in your managers

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores