Management doesn't seem to value their employees' contributions, and doesn't treat them with respect.

Former Employee - Lease Administrative
Former Employee - Lease Administrative

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Coworkers in (related) departments other than mine were helpful when I had questions regarding job functions.

Cons

When I found cost savings, I was rudely asked why I hadn't discovered them sooner, rather than being recognized for my discovery. When I asked for help, I was told I should already know the procedures, made to feel like an idiot, and was left to fend for myself. I did not feel there was a strong team environment -- rather, a competitive, 'every man for himself' vibe which led to employees brown-nosing to seek favor with management. Not much room for advancement. HR was not neutral in any way -- any issues I brought to them were discussed with management.

Treat your employees like people! I wish managers knew how much improving employee morale and recognizing their strengths and accomplishments can go toward improving productivity. Sometimes when management members are older, have been in the same position for years and are more set in their ways, they are less likely to 'think outside the box' and welcome new ideas and procedures. Don't act like a despot and still believe you can expect excellence from your team.

Other Reviews for Michaels Stores

just okay for most people

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

flexible scheduling, access to materials to test out before you buy them, not horrible music on the PA

Cons

uncooperative management teams, unmotivated sales and cashier staff, no payroll for training new employees, a new corporate program every three weeks, needy and arrogant customers, no support from corporate when enforcing policies - always have to roll over and let the customers walk all over you, associate discount does not include sale items - which almost everything is.

stop trying to constantly implement new programs and tweak the ones you already have. also, evaluate your distribution of payroll hours.

Very nice place to work.

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, the working environment had a positive effect on my perception on retail work and store maintenance. Management policy and store cleanliness maintenance and go-backs seemed to flow acceptably, and I can safely say that the team environment was very helpful to my perspective on how work hours go. I only regret that I couldn't be of more help within that limited time to them.

Cons

Not much I could say. I didn't have much time to stay there, since I was only working seasonal part-time. Nevertheless, from what I gathered, not much, if at all. Also, the reason for my lack of opinion on the CEO themselves had to do with me never having seen any example of their work directly. Otherwise, my perspective of them is rather positive.

Not much I can remember that would help, except perhaps maybe have a sort of system for the go-backs? Then again, the time I worked was December 2007 to January 2008. Might have changed that ever since already.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!