There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Extremely unprofessional.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

I ended up leaving shortly after I was hired, so I don't have many positive aspects of the company to share.

Cons

I mostly want to write about the experience I had the short time I worked there. After getting hired, they asked me to come in a few days later for orientation. I was told that orientation typically takes about 30 minutes, though the hiring manager was going to be out of town so the general store manager would be conducting it instead, so it would take about an hour. When I showed up, I went over a few packets of information with the manager. He had to keep leaving because they were understaffed and kept calling him for assistance. I didn't mind, and continued reading through the information myself and signing where he had told me to sign. There was one point where he must've been gone for about 20 minutes--I had finished the documents he had given me to look at and spent a lot of time sitting there by myself, and when he came back he apologized and admitted to forgetting about me. He tried to continue the orientation but kept leaving and coming back. I had been there for an hour and half before he finally asked me to leave because he was too busy, without finishing the orientation. I was never paid for it, even though I was told that I would be.

The first day of work, I came in and was told I wasn't supposed to work because I hadn't finished training. I shadowed an employee and was told that when there was time during my shift I would finish my training with the manager, which never happened. The next time I came into work I was told I needed to cashier that day (they were thinking that I had already been trained on one), though the manager hadn't even given me the numbers I needed to sign into the register (they couldn't locate them), and everyone seemed oblivious to the fact that no one had even trained me to be on a register yet! Better yet, I was supposed to be sales associate and instead of training me they just put me on the sales floor, briefly pointing out the areas and telling me to put away returns and help customers with no other training than that. It was ridiculous and my whole experience there was frustrating.
I witnessed a lot of yelling from the general manager for the short time I was there, which was really unsettling.

953 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Great job for college students and pays decently well for those who decide to stay

Current Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers are usually laid back, customers are mostly friendly and are excited about the products, and the work hours are very flexible. For entry-level, it is a good place to work.

Cons

Don't always get enough work hours, don't always have enough people working to finish all tasks, and turn over rate is high so you are always training new people. Also, specifically at my store, the replenishment hours are ridiculously early. Sometimes can be repetitive work.

Honesty is always the best policy.

Going nowhere fast; worst place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good job for a people person. Flexible hours. I like most of my fellow employees, currently even including most of the management.

Cons

Run on a skeleton crew so you can't give good customer service. Some shifts as short as 3 hours. Very poor pay and stingy raises. They have steadily and drastically cut hours in the 2 years I have been here; we are working our asses off all the time! Not that I mind working hard, but we are not adequately compensated. They did away with the Front End Supervisor, so cashiers perform many of the same functions with no additional pay. Constant pressure to collect emails of customers. Also some of their merchandise is crap and you kind of feel bad ripping people off.

Share a little of the wealth and pay your employees a living wage! BTW I am actively looking for another job.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!