There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Work at Michaels only if you dont have a life.

Current Employee - Store Associate in Highland, IN
Current Employee - Store Associate in Highland, IN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, employee discount, store content

Cons

No set schedule. No communication. Horrible upper managment. Hard to access employee records and paryroll.

Advice to Management

Fire all your district managers, their inexperienced and treat associates like crap. GIVE EMPLOYEES SET SCHEDULES! people cant live not knowing if one week theyll work 15hrs then the next week 2hrs. A Schedule a month at a time would be great I never know if im working till two days before the shift! Dont base payroll hours on store intake its bad business. If you can afford to hire someone let them work! Upper management has no idea what a store goes through.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Not enough responsibility

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wasn't micromanaged and I loved my coworkers. My manager gave me extra hours when she realized that I was such a good employee, and it is nice to be appreciated.

Cons

Never got my discount card, not much communication between management and part time cashiers like me, and I had no responsibility to make my own judgments. Got thrown under the bus for a situation that occurred during a closing shift with a new manager and first time closing lead. Too much emphasis on getting email addresses.

Advice to Management

Don't just fire someone for the sake of firing them because something bad happened.

Going nowhere fast; worst place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job for a people person. Flexible hours. I like most of my fellow employees, currently even including most of the management.

Cons

Run on a skeleton crew so you can't give good customer service. Some shifts as short as 3 hours. Very poor pay and stingy raises. They have steadily and drastically cut hours in the 2 years I have been here; we are working our asses off all the time! Not that I mind working hard, but we are not adequately compensated. They did away with the Front End Supervisor, so cashiers perform many of the same functions with no additional pay. Constant pressure to collect emails of customers. Also some of their merchandise is crap and you kind of feel bad ripping people off.

Advice to Management

Share a little of the wealth and pay your employees a living wage! BTW I am actively looking for another job.