Michaels Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Not the best

Current Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed learning about all the products they carry. I am a crafty person, so I enjoyed talk with the customers about projects they were working on, etc.

Cons

Very unorganized management. I was told I was going to be trained, but never was and instead was thrown on a register on the busiest day of the week, and was treated poorly when I didn't know what to do from that day forward. I recieved "infraction points" for not punching out correctly, and was told that I was at fault, even when they never even trained me how to do any procedures correctly. There is a nearly impossible emphasis on collecting customer emails in which I was verbally written up three times for, for not collecting enough, but they gave me all three writeups in one day because they failed to be on top of the first write up from a month before, and never told me about it so I could improve or learn how to improve then.

Writeups should not be based on the customer's willingness to give out their email. Properly train each employee.

1108 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

sales clerk

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in West Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in West Springfield, MA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent employee discount. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Low pay. Standing all day and walking around picking up merchandise off the floor.
    Shelves and displays are over-packed and store is always a mess!

Treat employees with more respect and give new employees a store map to help customers find things. Also, make sure that sale items ring up at register correctly.

Fun job. Former custom framer

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

I really enjoyed the work and people. I found the job and workplace pleasant and fun most of the time. There were also occasional opportunities to advance into higher positions. Co-workers were friendly and fun.

Cons

Pay and benefits were typical retail fare. Store became short-handed and I would be asked to take on the tasks of the workers that left, which they never replaced, so it became routine to do my tasks as well as the tasks of the people that left.

Pay and benefits could've been better for those in specialized trades/positions (framing, floral, etc). Didn't like having to pick up the work duties of other people who had left, which doesn't help the customers much either if stores are under-staffed.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores