Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Poor experience and poor company to work for with little management support

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, MN
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Allows you to show your creative side, help guest decide on purchases, work with customers.

Cons

Very poor management who lacks support and offers very little opportunity for growth. Management shows little interest in employee's abilities and refuses to offer full time positions to sales employee's so they can avoid giving benefits!

Work with your employees to ensure that they are happy - happy employees causes happier customers!

1108 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

This was the worst working environment I have been a part of

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Woodland, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any

Cons

Here is my story: I was hired by a manager that everyone hated. So when that manager left for a new job, I was completely ostracized by my coworkers, even other managers. I heard horrible things being said behind my back and was never given a chance to prove myself. It was like going back to middle school. The other day I heard two employees bashing one of their coworkers for being "white-trash".

This is the most unprofessional work environment I have encountered. Thank god I'm graduating college and getting a real job.

You need a more educated and mature workforce

Extremely unprofessional.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I ended up leaving shortly after I was hired, so I don't have many positive aspects of the company to share.

Cons

I mostly want to write about the experience I had the short time I worked there. After getting hired, they asked me to come in a few days later for orientation. I was told that orientation typically takes about 30 minutes, though the hiring manager was going to be out of town so the general store manager would be conducting it instead, so it would take about an hour. When I showed up, I went over a few packets of information with the manager. He had to keep leaving because they were understaffed and kept calling him for assistance. I didn't mind, and continued reading through the information myself and signing where he had told me to sign. There was one point where he must've been gone for about 20 minutes--I had finished the documents he had given me to look at and spent a lot of time sitting there by myself, and when he came back he apologized and admitted to forgetting about me. He tried to continue the orientation but kept leaving and coming back. I had been there for an hour and half before he finally asked me to leave because he was too busy, without finishing the orientation. I was never paid for it, even though I was told that I would be.

The first day of work, I came in and was told I wasn't supposed to work because I hadn't finished training. I shadowed an employee and was told that when there was time during my shift I would finish my training with the manager, which never happened. The next time I came into work I was told I needed to cashier that day (they were thinking that I had already been trained on one), though the manager hadn't even given me the numbers I needed to sign into the register (they couldn't locate them), and everyone seemed oblivious to the fact that no one had even trained me to be on a register yet! Better yet, I was supposed to be sales associate and instead of training me they just put me on the sales floor, briefly pointing out the areas and telling me to put away returns and help customers with no other training than that. It was ridiculous and my whole experience there was frustrating.
    I witnessed a lot of yelling from the general manager for the short time I was there, which was really unsettling.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores