Lean machine

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Michaels was a good place to work. Lots of fun and creative people in all areas. I loved working with the people there the most. Everyone was supportive and worked hard. This was also a fast paced ever changing environment which I thrived on.

Cons

Because every department operated so lean, it created an enormous workload. Work/life balance was difficult. Also, the company outsourced a number of job functions to India and that made for a difficult transition. Unfortunately, people lost their jobs.

The right answer to improve profitability is not always to follow what other corporations are doing. Michaels is a place of creative thinkers. Be creative and come up with alternate plans to save and improve profitability and bring the jobs back to the US.

Other Reviews for Michaels Stores

It had its ups and downs but I met a good support system in my coworkers.

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers were great as well as my colleagues. Management was there if I needed anthing, they worked with the needs of my schedule.

Cons

Sometimes the amount of hours were low and higher management sometimes had unrealistic goals.

Ask the stores themselves for suggestions on how to improve.

promise of raises and full time but it never happens

Current Employee - Floral Designer  in  Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Floral Designer in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was given freedom to use my own designs to improve sales and i enjoyed many customers that i worked with.

Cons

as the floral designer at michaels for 4 years i was told that if i made sales of 80,000 a year i wouldbecome a full time associate with benifits. In the 4 yrs that i was with the company i was number one in sales for the district the majority of the time. earned many awards and execeeded sales expectations sometimes by 40% even with that store sales declining i was told if i made 80,000 for the year in custom floral i would be full time. I achieved sales of just over 80,000 the last week of the fiscal year . I was congratulated by my store manager first one in district to make it to full time. Three weeks into the new year i was still at 24 hours a week so i asked district manager when i was going to full time he said I dont agree with this but cororate said it was a leep year so it doesnt count . This is not a joke this really happened. I worked my butt off with promises of raises and full time for 4 years. Michaels changes the rules every day so if you work there and were promised a raise dont count on it.

know who your leaders are and take care of the employee as you expect them to take care of your store, and help earn your bonus.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!