There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

A frustrating and unfulfilling experience

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer
Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed almost all of my co-workers and even store management. Most of the framing customers I dealt with were very nice.

Cons

I was made to watch numerous videos on my first day... one of which was the CEO of Michaels telling me how vital & important the retail employees were to the company. Unfortunately almost nothing about my experience there backed that claim up. Meager hours, uneven scheduling, minimum wages with paltry yearly raises, little to no training in most aspects of the store, constant rule changes and revisions, unrealistic work demands... none of it adds up to an employee feeling even remotely valued. Payroll hours are given (and taken away) dependent on how the store performed the previous week. So if sales are down for any reason, hours are slashed to ridiculously low levels which results in a vicious cycle: not enough employees to help customers find items on the sales floor, not enough cashiers to keep checkout lines short, and not enough framers to get their orders done correctly and on-time results in unhappy, angry customers and yet another meager sales week... which causes more hours to be cut the following week which hinders more sales; and so on. I worked in the frame department and was constantly amazed at how badly it was run. The little training that is given to framers is almost entirely focused on how to sell -- and especially up-sell -- to customers. The company doesn't seem to understand (or care) that picking out pretty mats and frames is barely only half of the trade... a framer also needs to know how to correctly handle and frame various types of art so that they're protected and preserved. Some framers, like me, already had lots of experience in framing before being hired at Michaels, so the lack of education wasn't as big a deal. But others were put in the shop and expected to handle expensive and/or highly sentimental pieces of art with mere hours of rudimentary training; and since payroll hours are constantly slashed, framers work solo 95% of the time, so there is nobody for them to ask how things should be done properly. I feel extremely badly for customers who are lulled into a false sense of security and trust by the white gloves the framers wear at the sales counter, and the misleading title of "Certified Framer" that's given to pretty much anyone who can put three mat samples together for a customer and figure out the framing software. Again, not ALL framers are inexperienced and untrained, but a shocking amount have absolutely no clue... and the customers are paying top dollar regardless (and unknowing) of the gamble of whether or not the person framing their art actually knows what he or she is doing. Another downside of the framing department was the constant barrage of unhappy customers because of late or shoddily-done jobs due to understaffing and lack of training. Michaels doesn't seem to realize that the cornerstone of a successful business is the repeat customer... and good word-of-mouth is infinitely better advertising than weekly coupons off insanely inflated prices. The best way to get an end product that exceeds expectations and is on-time is to have a genuinely knowledgeable staff and enough time/man-power to get the jobs done right. As I stated earlier, framers are almost always working alone; so even when overwhelmed with orders to be done, we were constantly pulled out of the shop to not only help new framing customers, but also jump on a register, take phone calls, help customers who couldn't find a single employee on the sales floor, sweep floors, do "go-backs" (returning items left at registers and/or all over the sales floor to their proper places), bring out and take in the ridiculous and tacky amount of sale- and dollar-items outside the store, help with closing procedures, plus a variety of other distractions which kept us from doing our actual jobs effectively. Overall it was an extremely negative and frustrating experience. If you're someone who takes a retail job with a grain of salt, then you'd probably be fine. If you're someone like me who, even when being paid a fraction of what you're worth STILL wants to excel and do the best job possible, that vigor will be drained out of you soon after employment with Michaels.

Advice to Management

All employees from cashiers to upper management are set up to fail by your unrealistic expectations and ridiculous business practices. Your employees can't work to their full potential when they are constantly undermined by being overworked and under-staffed. You claim to want to give the customer "world-class service", yet don't have enough sales staff scheduled to follow through on that, which results in poor sales. Stop changing priorities and sales tactics almost constantly... it makes the company look as if it's floundering and just trying anything and everything to keep ahead. It's a sure sign of desperation, and don't fool yourself into thinking your employees AND customers can't see it. Invest in your employees that you claim to value so much; give them proper training on all levels! Reward your best employees with a fuller, more consistent work schedule; people can't live on working 3 or 4 hours a week... especially at minimum wage. Additionally, get rid of all the bargain-bin garbage merchandise outside of the store... I assure you more of it is stolen than sold, and it cheapens the entire look and feel of the place. First impressions are vital, so the first thing customers see as they approach the store shouldn't be dollar items and damaged goods on clearance out on the sidewalk.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

Work at Michaels only if you dont have a life.

Current Employee - Store Associate in Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Highland, IN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, employee discount, store content

Cons

No set schedule. No communication. Horrible upper managment. Hard to access employee records and paryroll.

Advice to Management

Fire all your district managers, their inexperienced and treat associates like crap. GIVE EMPLOYEES SET SCHEDULES! people cant live not knowing if one week theyll work 15hrs then the next week 2hrs. A Schedule a month at a time would be great I never know if im working till two days before the shift! Dont base payroll hours on store intake its bad business. If you can afford to hire someone let them work! Upper management has no idea what a store goes through.

Poor experience and poor company to work for with little management support

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allows you to show your creative side, help guest decide on purchases, work with customers.

Cons

Very poor management who lacks support and offers very little opportunity for growth. Management shows little interest in employee's abilities and refuses to offer full time positions to sales employee's so they can avoid giving benefits!

Advice to Management

Work with your employees to ensure that they are happy - happy employees causes happier customers!