There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Hands down my favorite job

Current Employee - Operations Manager
Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Michaels promotes individual expression. They're ok with visible tattoos and piercings as well as unnatural colors in your hair. I really liked that I could be myself and I was still a manager. I even gauged my ears out while working there. I also worked with a very close group of people. Going to work was a blast, all my friends were there. They offer a nice employee discount which is awesome if you're an artist. I also had a great benefits package including a 401(k).

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all. They pay most part time employees minimum wage and as a manager I didn't even make $10 an hour. There is a ton of paperwork to keep up with and things can get disorganized very quickly. It's also hard to get in touch with the HR department if you need to report something.

Advice to Management

First off, if a store manager is doing a great job with their store: Leave them alone!!! Don't transfer them all over the place. Secondly, if you do have to replace a store manager: Take some time interviewing potential candidates and actually put some thought into it.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

Way Overworked and very Underpaid!

Current Employee - Presenatation Replenishment Manager
    Current Employee - Presenatation Replenishment Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some great people although they come and go very quickly.

Cons

Most employees average about 15-20 hours at minimum wage or slightly above. Management doesn't really do much until they find out a DM or corporate employee is coming to visit, at that point they want to yell and scream and try to fix everything they have been doing wrong since the last visit! My store alone has been through 3 Store Managers in 1 year! Very high turn over.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees more, and hear what they have to say. Don't promote people just because they are there. Consider paying more for great employees instead of paying minimum wage to 20 sub -par employees.

Fast paced retail job

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Riverhead, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was higher than minimum wage- started out at $9.25, after two years I was at $9.48 Awesome merchandise Great coworkers

Cons

Not enough workers there- sometimes only 3 people for entire store Only given 30 min break for working 8 sometimes 9 hours breaks are only given for 6 hr shifts- always scheduled 5 1/2 hrs.... Hectic- long line, one cashier

Advice to Management

Corporate is corrupt and expect too much without sufficient pay No respect for employees that have been there for 5+ years Often accused of stealing- cameras installed only to observe hard working employees