Fast paced retail job

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Riverhead, NY
Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Riverhead, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was higher than minimum wage- started out at $9.25, after two years I was at $9.48 Awesome merchandise Great coworkers

Cons

Not enough workers there- sometimes only 3 people for entire store Only given 30 min break for working 8 sometimes 9 hours breaks are only given for 6 hr shifts- always scheduled 5 1/2 hrs.... Hectic- long line, one cashier

Advice to Management

Corporate is corrupt and expect too much without sufficient pay No respect for employees that have been there for 5+ years Often accused of stealing- cameras installed only to observe hard working employees

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Hands down my favorite job

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Michaels promotes individual expression. They're ok with visible tattoos and piercings as well as unnatural colors in your hair. I really liked that I could be myself and I was still a manager. I even gauged my ears out while working there. I also worked with a very close group of people. Going to work was a blast, all my friends were there. They offer a nice employee discount which is awesome if you're an artist. I also had a great benefits package including a 401(k).

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all. They pay most part time employees minimum wage and as a manager I didn't even make $10 an hour. There is a ton of paperwork to keep up with and things can get disorganized very quickly. It's also hard to get in touch with the HR department if you need to report something.

Advice to Management

First off, if a store manager is doing a great job with their store: Leave them alone!!! Don't transfer them all over the place. Secondly, if you do have to replace a store manager: Take some time interviewing potential candidates and actually put some thought into it.

2. Custom Framer

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Commerce, MI
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Commerce, MI

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, great people, good training and learning curve. You have the opportunity to grow close with the other employees. Lots of potential for advancement.

Cons

Minimum wage, poor hours, inexperienced management. Most of the cons are typical of any retail job regardless of the industry.