Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Great Part-Time Job

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate  in  Albany, NY
Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Albany, NY

Pros

My manager was a major reason I enjoyed working at Michael's. he was interesting and funny and made work enjoyable.

Cons

It is basically minimum wage. As a member of the replenishment team, we do a lot of work. Some of it is very physical as we are required to build fixtures and continuously bend and walk around the store.

Stop taking our hours away just because sales goals were not reached! If people do not come into the store on a certain day, sales are obviously not going to be met. As employees, we cannot help this event and should not suffer because of it. We can only push sales to those actually in the store.

Other reviews for Michaels Stores

Never get a job here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

Pros

You can build retail, marketing, and corporate experiences.

Cons

- High politics between co-workers, managers, departments
    - Combined 3 people jobs into 1 position= working through lunch hour, staying late, over time hours on the weekend, no time to take compensation hours or vacation
    - At least 3 meetings on one day
    - Gossip between women. (90% of this company is women)
    - Managers who does not have power or knowledge of about the job move up to higher positions
    - Miscommunications, no communication between vendors, different departments and corporate.

Terrible

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

There are some tough people with great sense of humor who stick it out with this company, and I made friends with several of them at my old store.

Cons

Management is terrible. You can tell corporate is full of people who have never worked in the stores as they make up policies left and right that do not make sense and are almost anti-customer in that you would think they were trying to scare customers off! For example: the stingy coupon policy and having to collect customer IDs for cash returns. Neither of these go over well! And many of the customers don't seem to understand that corporate policy is corporate policy - they will take out their anger and disappointment on the cashiers and sales floor people who have no control over the rules. Also, the company habitually hires people so there are too many employees and not enough hours to go around. And last but not least there is no formal training for new employees, as Michaels seems to think it foolish to invest in their employees.

Come up with a real training program, stop hiring so many people, and stop changing your policies so often! Change your focus from expanding the company with new stores to investing in the stores and employees you currently have. Your employees and customers will thank you for it!

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!