There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Heavy workload, low pay, no other options and not happy :(

Current Employee - Senior Framer
Current Employee - Senior Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Most of my co-workers are awesome to work with! However they seem to be a dime a dozen to managers and come and go quickly.
-Was a part timer on the floor, got moved into full time framing
-I love being able to work with customers and artwork
-This is a good job for people who want a first job experience and don't need to make a lot of money.

Cons

-Overloaded and stressful job environment.
-Standard hours for part timers are sometimes 20, but mostly 15 or lower.
-Threats and hard to achieve goals are made based on a very flawed system.
-There is almost always too much work and not enough people to do it. Have had go after hours (not overtime paid) just to keep from falling behind and getting reprimanded/written up.
-Have had customers ask when we're going out of business...
-My particular managers are decent but not the best. Some are rude to customers, others try but are already overworked and are very often stressed out.
-The pay is near dirt compared to what employees have to deal with on a store and customer level daily. Customer service is sadly often put on the back burner just to get a job done.
-I still give this job everything I have, but as soon as there is another full time job with better pay and better work environment I will be putting in my two weeks.
-I have told people who ask me to help them get a job at Michael's that I won't help because they're not going to like it. Have also warned several curious job seekers that if they're looking for a job to start into even a small career or make a living to steer clear of this company.

People are more than numbers and customer service is more valuable than making a sale. A handfull of good, well equipped, well trained and prepared employees is far better than two dozen waisting hours and time and not knowing what they're doing.

972 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Crazy Managers

Current Employee - Cashier in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Busy busy busy, good starting pay, great employee discount

Cons

Management is RUDE!!!!! They are disrespectful not only to their employees but to their customers. They talk to us like we are half way retarded, they refuse to flex to meet any needs of customers, they threaten write ups for not collecting enough emails. we CANNOT force customers to give us their email addresses so some days are hit and miss.

Have some respect, take the time to train your employees, be flexible, just because a customer is rude doesnt mean you need to be rude

An Awkward Situation

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*some great coworkers
    *no overnight shifts
    *opportunity to learn retail
    *on site parking

Cons

*little to no opportunity for advancement
    *raises are set between $0.05 to $0.10, once a year, with maximum incomes
    *store managers rarely get caught in their wrong-doings

DM should have occasional anonymous surveys for associates to take about store management.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores