Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Heavy workload, low pay, no other options and not happy :(

Senior Framer (Current Employee)

Pros-Most of my co-workers are awesome to work with! However they seem to be a dime a dozen to managers and come and go quickly.
-Was a part timer on the floor, got moved into full time framing
-I love being able to work with customers and artwork
-This is a good job for people who want a first job experience and don't need to make a lot of money.

Cons-Overloaded and stressful job environment.
-Standard hours for part timers are sometimes 20, but mostly 15 or lower.
-Threats and hard to achieve goals are made based on a very flawed system.
-There is almost always too much work and not enough people to do it. Have had go after hours (not overtime paid) just to keep from falling behind and getting reprimanded/written up.
-Have had customers ask when we're going out of business...
-My particular managers are decent but not the best. Some are rude to customers, others try but are already overworked and are very often stressed out.
-The pay is near dirt compared to what employees have to deal with on a store and customer level daily. Customer service is sadly often put on the back burner just to get a job done.
-I still give this job everything I have, but as soon as there is another full time job with better pay and better work environment I will be putting in my two weeks.
-I have told people who ask me to help them get a job at Michael's that I won't help because they're not going to like it. Have also warned several curious job seekers that if they're looking for a job to start into even a small career or make a living to steer clear of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are more than numbers and customer service is more valuable than making a sale. A handfull of good, well equipped, well trained and prepared employees is far better than two dozen waisting hours and time and not knowing what they're doing.

Crazy Managers

Cashier (Current Employee) Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros: Busy busy busy, good starting pay, great employee discount Cons: Management is RUDE!!!!! They are disrespectful not only to their employees but to their customers. They talk to us like we are half way retarded,… Advice to Senior Management: Have some respect, take the time to train your employees, be flexible,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

An Awkward Situation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: *some great coworkers *no overnight shifts *opportunity to learn retail *on site parking Cons: *little to no opportunity for advancement *raises are set between $0.05 to $0.10,… Advice to Senior Management: DM should have occasional anonymous surveys for associates to take… More
There are newer reviews on Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!