There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management was extremely friendly and willing to help whenever needed. Everyone always had an upbeat attitude, even when things were stressful for us. My co-workers were all amazing individuals who helped whenever they could and created a great team, as well as a wonderful work environment. Even during Christmas time, the customers were fantastic and I can count on one hand the number of unhappy customers I dealt with.

Cons

I can't think of any particular downside to working at Michaels. Overall, it was a very positive place to work. Other than the high volume of customers and resulting demand that was caused by the holidays, I really enjoyed working at Michaels.

reviews filtered by

Way Overworked and very Underpaid!

Current Employee - Presenatation Replenishment Manager
    Current Employee - Presenatation Replenishment Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some great people although they come and go very quickly.

Cons

Most employees average about 15-20 hours at minimum wage or slightly above. Management doesn't really do much until they find out a DM or corporate employee is coming to visit, at that point they want to yell and scream and try to fix everything they have been doing wrong since the last visit! My store alone has been through 3 Store Managers in 1 year! Very high turn over.

Talk to your employees more, and hear what they have to say. Don't promote people just because they are there. Consider paying more for great employees instead of paying minimum wage to 20 sub -par employees.

2. Shots in the dark.

Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I love this store and I loved working here the ambiance was right up my alley considering it was a craft store that could easily double as a step-ahead-of-last-resort if one is really trying to avoid having to go to blick's. The work is fast paced but there is room for advancement and benefits, etc.

Cons

It really depends on which one you go to because stock is different depending on where you go and so is management it could be great at one store or just terrible like you won't believe it and well I say read reviews before you go in one and call ahead of time for stock checks because you'll learn a lot more than if you just show up at the store also try using the 'online catalogue' and I put it that way because you cannot place online orders as one would presume.

New management that has less issues it's okay to have bad days but everyday is a bit much.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores