Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Great Place

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Fun working environment,customers are always nice and want to talk to you about their project.

Cons

Not enough hours for employees.

Increase the hours you allow each store.

1101 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Was a good company

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are great to work with...

Cons

Unless you are full time, you feel disconnected from the store/mgmt/company...Hours are cut all the time, not enough help on the floor for the customers....If we don't hit the daily sales projected for the day, people get called to not come in, yet the freight piles up in the stockroom, planograms cannot get set, new merchandise sits in the back because of it...Need to get it to the floor so it can be sold......Corporate has no clue

Do spot checks of stores, UNANNOUNCED....Stores are cluttered, dirty, not stocked properly, this needs to change as shelves, peg hooks and buckets are empty..

Great co-workers; horrible pay; corrupt management

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Replenishment Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Replenishment Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working with the majority of my co-workers. Everyday, we are able to socialize, but still we work efficiently together, tag-teaming to get all of our tasks done, and still have time to spare. There are very few co-workers that I dislike, and thankfully, I rarely have to work with them. Our store has many regular customers, most of which are always fun to chat with, and very understanding of how demanding our job can be. I also love how the store inspires me to pick up my sketching again (I bought some gorgeous art pencils there just a few weeks ago!), and possibly try new crafts (like jewelry-making, crochet, clay and mosaic arts, and baking).

Cons

--Horrible pay. Even for management. Most managers at my store barely make 50-75 cents more than me, and I'm earning the bare minimum (I earn 7.75, and my managers earn MAYBE 8.25 or 8.50). So promotions aren't really worth it, if you're looking at it from a pay standpoint.
    --Little to no training; I had to learn pretty much as I went. Some employees haven't even been taught how to use the register.
    --During the non-holiday season, sales are always low, and hours are always being cut. Some times there will only be 3-4 people in the store in the evenings: a cashier, a framer, a manager, and maybe one floor associate. Customers are always irritated that they can "never find anyone to help them."
    --Also, they have a horrible habit of changing your shifts (whether wanting you in earlier, later, or just cutting you off the schedule completely), and not telling you about it until you show up for the shift that shows on the online work schedule.
    --My store hires too many new employees who only halfway do their jobs. Yet, they get more hours than the hard-working employees.
    --Many of the managers at my store are NOT individuals who should ever be in a management position. Some are just lazy; others are just bullies.
    --Email collections for cashiers: most of our usual customers (and the ones we actually would WANT to continue doing business with) have already signed up for our emails. We can't force them to give our their email address. I don't think it's fair to rate a cashier on that. We should be rated at how efficiently and error-free we make the checkout process, not how many emails we can get.
    --Corporate people have never worked in a store, so they really shouldn't be telling us how to do our jobs. They'll say a task should only take 1-3 hours max, when it usually ends up taking 5-6 minimum (like RDQ/RDF). Also, they need to think before they send out POG builds. Some of the builds are ridiculous, and the products won't even fit on the grids.
    --Since corporate has been pushing enforcement of the coupon policy (at least in my store), we have a lot of disgruntled customers, some of whom have actually thrown tantrums (and items) at the cashiers and associates, even though we're just doing our jobs. The policy should have been enforced from the beginning, and then we wouldn't have this problem.

--Hire managers that actually care about their jobs, the satisfaction of their customers, and who care about and listen to their employees. Unfortunately, out of the 5-6 managers at my store, only one meets that criteria, and actually cares about her fellow workers and customers.
    --Don't keep giving hours to the people who don't get their work done; give them to people who deserve it. In fact, stop hiring so many new people and just appreciate the ones you have! Also, stop cutting hours of your employees and neglecting to tell them about it.
    --More training should be incorporated into the job! Michaels University is great, but it doesn't teach us how to handle registers, or difficult customers. Just how to take CSO and framing orders (not that those aren't important, but the former ones are far more common for the usual sales floor person).
    --Allow more time for employees to be creative! During the non-holiday season, the workplace can be really slow. Allow them to have projects they can demo to show customers, and to possibly promote sales. Having one 3-hour demo on a Saturday isn't enough. After all, isn't Michaels where "creativity happens"?

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores