Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Terrible

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some tough people with great sense of humor who stick it out with this company, and I made friends with several of them at my old store.

ConsManagement is terrible. You can tell corporate is full of people who have never worked in the stores as they make up policies left and right that do not make sense and are almost anti-customer in that you would think they were trying to scare customers off! For example: the stingy coupon policy and having to collect customer IDs for cash returns. Neither of these go over well! And many of the customers don't seem to understand that corporate policy is corporate policy - they will take out their anger and disappointment on the cashiers and sales floor people who have no control over the rules. Also, the company habitually hires people so there are too many employees and not enough hours to go around. And last but not least there is no formal training for new employees, as Michaels seems to think it foolish to invest in their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a real training program, stop hiring so many people, and stop changing your policies so often! Change your focus from expanding the company with new stores to investing in the stores and employees you currently have. Your employees and customers will thank you for it!

Growing company, but IT is a big mess

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros: it is still growing in business, meaning IT has lots of things… Cons: IT management is a big mess. There is no asset management, no IT service… Advice to Senior Management: Stablized the core organization, More

Heavy workload, low pay, no other options and not happy :(

Senior Framer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros: -Most of my co-workers are awesome to work with! However they seem to be a dime a dozen to managers and come and go quickly. -Was… Cons: -Overloaded and stressful job environment. -Standard hours for part timers are sometimes 20, but mostly 15 or lower. -Threats and hard to achieve goals are made… Advice to Senior Management: People are more than numbers and customer service is more valuable than making a sale. A handfull of good, well equipped,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.