Terrible

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some tough people with great sense of humor who stick it out with this company, and I made friends with several of them at my old store.

Cons

Management is terrible. You can tell corporate is full of people who have never worked in the stores as they make up policies left and right that do not make sense and are almost anti-customer in that you would think they were trying to scare customers off! For example: the stingy coupon policy and having to collect customer IDs for cash returns. Neither of these go over well! And many of the customers don't seem to understand that corporate policy is corporate policy - they will take out their anger and disappointment on the cashiers and sales floor people who have no control over the rules. Also, the company habitually hires people so there are too many employees and not enough hours to go around. And last but not least there is no formal training for new employees, as Michaels seems to think it foolish to invest in their employees.

Advice to Management

Come up with a real training program, stop hiring so many people, and stop changing your policies so often! Change your focus from expanding the company with new stores to investing in the stores and employees you currently have. Your employees and customers will thank you for it!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Crazy Managers

Current Employee - Cashier in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Busy busy busy, good starting pay, great employee discount

Cons

Management is RUDE!!!!! They are disrespectful not only to their employees but to their customers. They talk to us like we are half way retarded, they refuse to flex to meet any needs of customers, they threaten write ups for not collecting enough emails. we CANNOT force customers to give us their email addresses so some days are hit and miss.

Advice to Management

Have some respect, take the time to train your employees, be flexible, just because a customer is rude doesnt mean you need to be rude

2. Great Part-Time Job

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Albany, NY

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager was a major reason I enjoyed working at Michael's. he was interesting and funny and made work enjoyable.

Cons

It is basically minimum wage. As a member of the replenishment team, we do a lot of work. Some of it is very physical as we are required to build fixtures and continuously bend and walk around the store.

Advice to Management

Stop taking our hours away just because sales goals were not reached! If people do not come into the store on a certain day, sales are obviously not going to be met. As employees, we cannot help this event and should not suffer because of it. We can only push sales to those actually in the store.