Terrible

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some tough people with great sense of humor who stick it out with this company, and I made friends with several of them at my old store.

Cons

Management is terrible. You can tell corporate is full of people who have never worked in the stores as they make up policies left and right that do not make sense and are almost anti-customer in that you would think they were trying to scare customers off! For example: the stingy coupon policy and having to collect customer IDs for cash returns. Neither of these go over well! And many of the customers don't seem to understand that corporate policy is corporate policy - they will take out their anger and disappointment on the cashiers and sales floor people who have no control over the rules. Also, the company habitually hires people so there are too many employees and not enough hours to go around. And last but not least there is no formal training for new employees, as Michaels seems to think it foolish to invest in their employees.

Advice to Management

Come up with a real training program, stop hiring so many people, and stop changing your policies so often! Change your focus from expanding the company with new stores to investing in the stores and employees you currently have. Your employees and customers will thank you for it!

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. Hands down my favorite job

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Michaels promotes individual expression. They're ok with visible tattoos and piercings as well as unnatural colors in your hair. I really liked that I could be myself and I was still a manager. I even gauged my ears out while working there. I also worked with a very close group of people. Going to work was a blast, all my friends were there. They offer a nice employee discount which is awesome if you're an artist. I also had a great benefits package including a 401(k).

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all. They pay most part time employees minimum wage and as a manager I didn't even make $10 an hour. There is a ton of paperwork to keep up with and things can get disorganized very quickly. It's also hard to get in touch with the HR department if you need to report something.

Advice to Management

First off, if a store manager is doing a great job with their store: Leave them alone!!! Don't transfer them all over the place. Secondly, if you do have to replace a store manager: Take some time interviewing potential candidates and actually put some thought into it.

Way Overworked and very Underpaid!

Current Employee - Presenatation Replenishment Manager
    Current Employee - Presenatation Replenishment Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some great people although they come and go very quickly.

Cons

Most employees average about 15-20 hours at minimum wage or slightly above. Management doesn't really do much until they find out a DM or corporate employee is coming to visit, at that point they want to yell and scream and try to fix everything they have been doing wrong since the last visit! My store alone has been through 3 Store Managers in 1 year! Very high turn over.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees more, and hear what they have to say. Don't promote people just because they are there. Consider paying more for great employees instead of paying minimum wage to 20 sub -par employees.