There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Never get a job here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Coppell, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You can build retail, marketing, and corporate experiences.

Cons

- High politics between co-workers, managers, departments
- Combined 3 people jobs into 1 position= working through lunch hour, staying late, over time hours on the weekend, no time to take compensation hours or vacation
- At least 3 meetings on one day
- Gossip between women. (90% of this company is women)
- Managers who does not have power or knowledge of about the job move up to higher positions
- Miscommunications, no communication between vendors, different departments and corporate.

932 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Terrible

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some tough people with great sense of humor who stick it out with this company, and I made friends with several of them at my old store.

Cons

Management is terrible. You can tell corporate is full of people who have never worked in the stores as they make up policies left and right that do not make sense and are almost anti-customer in that you would think they were trying to scare customers off! For example: the stingy coupon policy and having to collect customer IDs for cash returns. Neither of these go over well! And many of the customers don't seem to understand that corporate policy is corporate policy - they will take out their anger and disappointment on the cashiers and sales floor people who have no control over the rules. Also, the company habitually hires people so there are too many employees and not enough hours to go around. And last but not least there is no formal training for new employees, as Michaels seems to think it foolish to invest in their employees.

Come up with a real training program, stop hiring so many people, and stop changing your policies so often! Change your focus from expanding the company with new stores to investing in the stores and employees you currently have. Your employees and customers will thank you for it!

Heavy workload, low pay, no other options and not happy :(

Current Employee - Senior Framer
    Current Employee - Senior Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Most of my co-workers are awesome to work with! However they seem to be a dime a dozen to managers and come and go quickly.
    -Was a part timer on the floor, got moved into full time framing
    -I love being able to work with customers and artwork
    -This is a good job for people who want a first job experience and don't need to make a lot of money.

Cons

-Overloaded and stressful job environment.
    -Standard hours for part timers are sometimes 20, but mostly 15 or lower.
    -Threats and hard to achieve goals are made based on a very flawed system.
    -There is almost always too much work and not enough people to do it. Have had go after hours (not overtime paid) just to keep from falling behind and getting reprimanded/written up.
    -Have had customers ask when we're going out of business...
    -My particular managers are decent but not the best. Some are rude to customers, others try but are already overworked and are very often stressed out.
    -The pay is near dirt compared to what employees have to deal with on a store and customer level daily. Customer service is sadly often put on the back burner just to get a job done.
    -I still give this job everything I have, but as soon as there is another full time job with better pay and better work environment I will be putting in my two weeks.
    -I have told people who ask me to help them get a job at Michael's that I won't help because they're not going to like it. Have also warned several curious job seekers that if they're looking for a job to start into even a small career or make a living to steer clear of this company.

People are more than numbers and customer service is more valuable than making a sale. A handfull of good, well equipped, well trained and prepared employees is far better than two dozen waisting hours and time and not knowing what they're doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!