Michaels Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Cashier & Sales Associate for 2 years

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Ellicott City, MD
Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Respectful management, wellness programs that are fun and engaging, get to know regular customers quickly because it is a relatively small store.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult to get hours, can't move up in company that well if you're just an hourly employee.

1057 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Where creativity happens and on occasion, frustration...

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met some of the most creative people, customer and coworker alike. A lot of my coworkers are real sweethearts and some have even become close friends. As an employee AND shopper there, I'm always around to see what sale is going on and when we have our much coveted 50% coupon. Get to do kids crafts and product demos sometimes. Who doesn't want to get paid while having fun?

Cons

As a framer, I don't like having to come out on the floor and partake in the recovery effort at the end of the day. I'll go ahead and sweep or clean bathrooms; that's fine. But it becomes overwhelming when you have to stop production in the frame shop to go put up a basket of returns and straighten the store. I wish we could just work on production more and let sales floor concentrate on making the store look good. Would get more done that way. Also, sometimes I'll run across a crabby customer or two but I'm sure that's everywhere.

I find the email collection rate for cashiers to be ridiculous. Are you really going to judge a cashier based on how many emails she can collect per week, instead of other factors in her performance? Most customers either have already given us their email or don't want anymore emails period. Plus, as I mentioned, it would be nice if framers didn't have to partake in returns at the end of the day and could just concentrate on what needs to be done in the frame shop. Perhaps to someone on the outside looking in, it may not seem like much but there is always a lot to be done in framing on a day to day basis. Having an extra sales floor associate around would really be handy because we would have all of our closing duties complete and most likely clock out right after the store closes.

"Push" mentality and poor corporate culture, lack of respect

Former Employee - Product Development/Brand Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Product Development/Brand Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive in the industry.

Cons

Did not provide resources to get job done efficiently. Tight budget often prevented travel that was critical to development of product. Business outlook good if you can handle the pressure to perform without the resources.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores