There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

...

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Don't make enough money for the kind of work we do.

Be realistic with what you want us to do.

924 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

OK job, but glad I don't work there anymore.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Easton, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Easton, PA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

They let you set when you are available and don't schedule you when you aren't.
    The daily sheet that shows who is working at what time each day is nice to have as a cashier.
    POS system for register is fairly easy to learn.
    After being there for a year you get a review which can come with a raise. It isn't much but it is nice.
    The daily "showtime" meetings are nice to have. It updates everyone on what is going on in the store.
    The 25% employee discount is nice, although you can't use it on sale items which is almost everything.

Cons

The music.. does it drive anyone else crazy? It seems like they play the same 15 annoying songs on repeat.
    Policies are always changing, things in the store are always moving around. As a cashier (if you never get hours on the sales floor) it is hard to know where everything is all the time.
    No one in the store is on the same page when it comes to store policies. It seems like every cashier was taught something different when it comes to coupons, returns, etc.
    If you are the only cashier and ever need back-up, the person you have to call for back-up is always rude about it because they have better things to do (even though it isn't your fault it gets busy sometimes).
    Michaels really needs to update their technology. Registers are outdated, checkout lines, radios that employees use, everything.
    Rude customers. Almost all of the customers that come into Michaels are old ladies, and complain about everything you can think of. A lot of them think all you are trying to do is rip them off.
    Managers will undermine you. They will tell you you can only accept one coupon from a customer, and when a customer complains and asks to speak to a manager, the manager will just give it to them, making you look like a liar.
    Barely any hours, even if you are available a lot. I only had school twice a week but would get 10-15 hours a week. Hours are never consistent, so you have no idea what kind of paycheck you will be getting. Mine barely ever covered more than my gas to get there. Also, there are very very few full time positions available.
    In my store no one ever cleaned the bathroom and it was always disgusting.
    In the off-season, you will get very bored cashiering. I practically begged my managers for things to do while there were no customers, and they always just laughed as if I was joking. Cleaning things and straightening the candy only takes up so much time.

Let cashiers have a few hours on the sales floor every week to get familiar with where things are.
    Have meetings every so often with all of the cashiers (and back-up cashiers) about the policies so everyone is on the same page.
    Not to management, but to the company..get in the times with technology.
    Stick to the policies, don't undermine your employees. They are just trying to follow the (many) rules.
    Instead of having separate sales floor employees, just give cashiers more sales floor hours.
    If an employee is practically begging for a job to do, give them one.

Good company, if you are a brown-noser. (Michaels Distribution Center)

Former Employee - Material Handler  in  New Lenox, IL
    Former Employee - Material Handler in New Lenox, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Of course, its a paycheck. Your suggestions are actually looked at. (although they don't get past as an initial thought phase)

Cons

Internal employees are often overlooked for promotions. Your versatility gets abused.

Promote ideas other than your own, and be up front and straight-forward when questions are asked by associates. Don't give politician-like answers to serious inquiries.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!