There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Good & Bad

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Fayetteville, NC
Current Employee - Cashier in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers are great.... Well some of them. The frequent customers usually remember your face and that makes you feel good. Esp. when you're friendly and approachable. Yeah occasionally you'll have some customers that will be annoying, rude, and just sometimes evil. But thats a little rare

Management is pretty flexible with the scheduling. If you can't work certain days, they won't schedule you for those days.

The managers differ from store to store. My managers are pretty cool, and sometimes understanding.

You are not expected to know every product in the store, but it would be good for you to know where a lot of the common items are.

You get 25% employee discount. If they offer classes, I believe if one paying customers has signed up for that class, you can take that class for free.

Cons

This is not a place for lazy people. If you want more than 10 hours a week, you basically have to work for them.

If you want to be a full-time employee, good luck! They sometimes make it hard for you to move up in the company. If you are a cashier, the only position you can be promoted to is front end supervisor, and that is still considered part-time. Oh and if you are a cashier, there is no full-time position, only part-time.

Coupons...... I hate them. The customers have some preconceived notion that we accept multiple coupons at one time.. And we don't. And they use the excuse "Well someone last week let me use 10 coupons at one time...." And they're usually right.

Can you just get rid of coupons altogether?! Or at least make sure all of the stores are understanding the terms and conditions of the coupons? Make sure all cashiers and back up cashiers are on the same page, because having an irate customer in your face is not very pleasant.

And please allow your hard working employees to be able to get promoted or recognized for their hard work.

954 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Just a job

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Good company, Nice co workers. Management would ask if you wanted to stay a bit later.

Cons

Retail, Same as any other job. It's just that.

A bumpy road but a great first job experience.

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales  in  Manchester, CT
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Manchester, CT

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to learn the job and handle tasks so long as you stay under the radar and out of the way of the upper management.

Cons

Severe micromanaging, favoritism, lack of help from upper management.

Just because you know how to run a business, doesn't mean you know how to run a store.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!