I've worked at 5 different Michaels Stores, under 8 different store managers in a 5 year time span.

Current Employee - Everything  in  Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Everything in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really enjoy the work. Personally, I have quite a bit of experience in all departments of the store, so my managers have always let me do what I enjoy most, and I can fill in where needed. My stores have always been like a family to me, and I still go back to my hiring manager to catch up and get advice from him.

Cons

As a whole, there isn't much of a training program for anything... Yes, they have that weird Michaels University online program, but that's a load of crap when you get thrown into framing by yourself and realize you know NOTHING.

I would also have to add some of the unprofessionalism of upper management... They don't communicate well, and sometimes it's like trying to reason with a 2 year old who hasn't had their nap.

GET BETTER TRAINING. This includes REPLEN, whom I wish to smack every time I work with because they don't know what "put the label on the far left side of the product" means and I have to go around peeling off labels that are sitting in the center of the shelf.

Other Reviews for Michaels Stores

Excellent hard working associates

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Coworkers and associates very dedicated

Cons

Requires more than stated 45 hours. More like 60. Super busy holiday season

Give more hours to the store for associates.

Great people at Corporate make the job worthwhile, but benefits are lacking

Current Employee - Category Management Planner  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Category Management Planner in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Michaels corporate has been one of the best places I've ever worked when it comes to relationships and culture with my peers. Very little backbiting, general politeness when disagreements occur. Very open to people moving between functions to be more well-rounded, and generally aims to promote from within as a default.

Cons

You had better negotiate hard for a higher starting salary, because the market value for any given role is completely disregarded if/when you get promoted. It's to their advantage that they like to promote from within; it's a great sales/retention pitch that not only doesn't cost anything, but helps HR keep salaries artificially lower than what the market offers.

HR will not negotiate benefits as part of your compensation. There is no such thing as trying to negotiate an extra week of vacation, higher bonus, better health coverage in lieu of higher base pay.

Also - no maternity leave policy. You have to use some combination of short-term disability insurance, sick time and/or vacation time to have income after you've had a kid, or you have to use FMLA (unpaid).

Pay a lot more attention to what the other local retail corporate offices are paying, both in salaries and benefits. Otherwise, the current trickle of talent leaving will be a flood in short order as the economy keeps improving.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!