There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Good company for career growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Michaels offers a challenging retail environment to work in. The store revolves around its training programs, and encourages its employees to move to the next level.

Cons

Michaels has strict operational guidelines to follow. All employees need to be on board with learning the process. More often than not employees choose to stand around not do their job. That makes it tough for the rest of us.

Advice to Management

Raise pay scale in order to attract employees with better work ethics. Will balance out in the end.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. Fantastic learning experience

Former Intern - Category Management in Irving, TX
    Former Intern - Category Management in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Corporate environment is fairly relaxed, jeans 5 days a week, and everybody seems to know everybody and people are very friendly. There is very little power-distance between you and your superiors, but business is still business and you are expected to be professional. The experience I gained during my time at Michaels taught me more than I could have ever hoped for, and because they are such a large and well-recognized company, having experience and corporate looks good on a resume.

Cons

The cubicles make the physical environment of the offices a little stale, and it can be hard to get used to if you've never worked in an environment like this before. This is also a company that heavily relies on analytics to back up their business decisions, so if you aren't a fan of math or excel, they may not be a good fit for you, but this depends on the position you're applying for.

A Company not much interested it's employees, only corporate matters.

Current Employee - Frame Shop Manager in Bozeman, MT
    Current Employee - Frame Shop Manager in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working closly with customers in framing dept is nice, some great employees trying to improve on discordant management/corporate guidiance

Cons

Arbitrary goals with no real world backing, having same expectations from all stores regardless of the extreme differences in socio-economic dynamics of areas. Not the highest of quality materials.

Advice to Management

Think of something other than performance bonus, realize that your employees are what make or break a store. Actually listen to feedback and address issues.