Pretty cool

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard and stand out there are amazing opportunities. The customers are a real cool bunch, and the employees are like family. Great part time job if you are in school or you have another part time job. Easy to get time off.

Cons

The pay is low and the hours aren't that great. There aren't too many full time positions so not too many benefits. People come and go as well as call out on a regular basis....and they kind of guilt trip you to stay and fill the shift.

Advice to Management

If you do what you are supposed to do on a regular basis and hire employees who are willing to actually work then you won't be scrambling and freaking out when the district manger stops by... if you want to motivate your employees then lead by example....don't hide in the office your whole shift or feel that just because you have a title that makes you above doing menial tasks..A good manager doesn't forget were they came from and remembers that they used to be the little guy..

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst job I've worked at

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Delray Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Delray Beach, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love arts and crafts so it was nice helping customers with their project ideas

Cons

You work your tail off for low pay, I was getting 11 hours a week when I originally told I'd get atleast 30 and then it would be full time. The management is very disorganized and really do not care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your store managers and ask employees what improvements can be made

Current Associate Feedback

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment ~ if you enjoy the retail customer service experience. Connecting with creative individuals who share their project ideas & "money making experience" crafting for additional income. Great, if you want part time seasonal employment.

Cons

Corporate & regional management keep stores under staffed. Salary is minimal & real advancement is not available. I would describe it as a "Go Nowhere" job. If you are not management this will never be a full time job... part time only or temporary for the holidays..

Advice to Management

To drive sales & enhance the customer experience the stores need more sales associates on the floor. The key to meeting daily sales plan goals lies in qualified, knowledgeable associates interacting with the customer.