There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Must be a multi-tasker

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creative environment, relaxed atmosphere, great benefits for FT associates

Cons

Tight payroll, very few FT positions, must be self motivated to train

Don't just say associates are valued, follow up with the one thing all associates want, proper training, recognition for a job well done and enough hours on a regular basis to prevent having to juggle multiple jobs.

reviews filtered by

Great part time associates, but not a long term career option for most.

Former Employee - CEM in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - CEM in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The associates are very nice and laid back for the most part. There is a bonus employee discount a few times per year. Good job security for everyone, due in part to a lack of accountability, which can be a con. Work is very straightforward, but gets boring at times.

Cons

There is potential for this to be a great company, but they don't invest in their employees. Getting a 15 to 20 cent raise is insulting. They only care about the replenishment manager / team and everyone ends up doing planograms and basically their job. Store managers are not expected to boost store morale, so they tend to not interact or get to know their employees.

Train your managers to be good leaders. There is more to the job than just building a display. You need to pay your employees more, especially the full timers that are good, so that you can retain top talent. There are negative employees and store managers that can really drag the store down and hurt sales. District manager is nice, but clueless when it comes to accountability. There are no opportunities for growth, as store managers tend to be hired outside of the company. Have career goals for your good employees.

2. customer experience manger/ night and weekends

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with. This is the best job I've ever had. Co-workers are very friendly. I was a transfer into the store and everyone made me feel welcome.

Cons

Every so often you come across a guest that has issues with one thing or another but hey its our job to try to deal with the issue as best as we can or find someone else who can.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores