Very laid back

Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN
Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a cashier/ sales associate is going to be unenjoyable almost everywhere in retail, but it isn't so bad when you like the people you work with. I love everyone I work with, and all of my managers are very understanding and kind. They treat employees like human beings, not puppets.

Cons

Hourly pay for cashier/ sales associates is low. You do get raises within time, but that will take a great while to add up if you want to stay in the same position.

Advice to Management

N/A

reviews filtered by

Zero training, but high expectations.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Some of the staff is very nice. They have an employee discount.

Cons

Zero training. I was thrown on the floor without any knowledge of what I was doing. Thankfully, I'd been a frequent customer there, so I knew where some things were located. My questions for management are never answered. They just tell me to ask the other manager about it. But, the training is the biggest con to working here. It's very hard to help customers properly when you have been given no tools to be able to do so. Also, I understand the need for headsets, but it is very frustrating to be trying to assist a customer when someone is talking in your ear, asking you to do something else.

Advice to Management

Please provide mandatory training for new hires. I think it's very important to at least go over basics - such as safety training and where things are in the store. Just a few hours of good training can make a big difference.

Corporate is unorganized out of touch with reality.

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping customers who are trying to do something creative. Cool staff (not corporate) because you're all in the same boat. Not much else.

Cons

Corporate, corporate, corporate. Easily the most unorganized retail chain I have ever worked for. Policies change daily. They expect Mgrs to run an entire store while waiting by their computer for emails from corporate, and waiting by the phone for calls from corporate to do another task when you're trying to finish the previous 100 tasks they ask. They DO NOT allow enough hours to accomplish their unrealistic goals. And when you don't meet them you're treated unfairly. Don't expect work shirts to be given to you. (Buy your own.) Stock managers are responsible for setting ALL planograms. There is no planogram team at Michaels. They've dumped that responsibility on the stock manager so they don't have to pay extra payroll. But in return the company is losing money because no one has time to down stock old product, so really they're losing money but they're too stupid to realize it. There is ALOT of pressure to sell more at Michaels, AND ABSOLUTELY NO INCENTIVE. No bonus, no commission, nada. In my years at Michaels I have watched numerous Managers, District Managers, (and not to mention hourly associates) quit out if frustration, and or get fired. I want to close on a positive note, but first I want to give my two cents about the top dogs at Michaels corporate. Deep down in my gut I do not feel the guys at the top care about their employees. It's been made abundantly clear all they care about. MONEY. I understand it's a business and that's the goal, but there's no balance at Michaels. Corporate is pinching every single penny they can while the workers get larger workloads for crappy pay, and treated badly for not meeting thier IMPOSSIBLE goals. I've seen people cry, argue, fight with each other in frustration because of the things this company expects out of thier employees. All the while it seems like corporate is laughing to the bank while the little guy takes the hit. I have ZERO respect for the penny pinchers at Michaels corporate. But I do have love for the employees who show up everyday and do thier best to make it by and pay bills. We can only hope the company makes a turn for the better and starts treating its employees with respect, and stop treating them like children when they can't meet thier impossible expectations. You can only hope. I love the job for what it could be, not what is right now. Because right now, Michaels is S***.

Advice to Management

Don't be intimidated by corporate. Stand up for yourself when you feel like you are being treated unfairly.