Michaels Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Very laid back

Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN
Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a cashier/ sales associate is going to be unenjoyable almost everywhere in retail, but it isn't so bad when you like the people you work with. I love everyone I work with, and all of my managers are very understanding and kind. They treat employees like human beings, not puppets.

Cons

Hourly pay for cashier/ sales associates is low. You do get raises within time, but that will take a great while to add up if you want to stay in the same position.

N/A

1056 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Zero training, but high expectations.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Some of the staff is very nice. They have an employee discount.

Cons

Zero training. I was thrown on the floor without any knowledge of what I was doing. Thankfully, I'd been a frequent customer there, so I knew where some things were located. My questions for management are never answered. They just tell me to ask the other manager about it. But, the training is the biggest con to working here. It's very hard to help customers properly when you have been given no tools to be able to do so. Also, I understand the need for headsets, but it is very frustrating to be trying to assist a customer when someone is talking in your ear, asking you to do something else.

Please provide mandatory training for new hires. I think it's very important to at least go over basics - such as safety training and where things are in the store. Just a few hours of good training can make a big difference.

I really like my job and the people I work with. Unfortunately not all managers work as hard as employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, MA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Great associates with great work ethic. Great nights and weekend CEM.

Cons

Assistant Manager and full-time CEM spend hours in the office chatting about non work topics, while everyone else is working hard

The Assistant Manager should not spend so much time, and I mean hours, talking with the full-time CEM, very discouraging to all the associates and they all see it

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores