Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com
  www.michaels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

A good place to start off in retail

Current Employee - Cashier in Hurst, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Very lenient workplace where you get to experience a variety of positions. If you want days off, it'll be easy to have with flexible schedules.

Cons

Doing more work than you should and have to be a good multi-tasker to accomplish everything efficiently.

Put more people on the floor on registers instead of making one cashier available at a certain shift.

1022 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Stay busy and be on time for your shift at Michaels

Former Employee - Cashier in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Cashier in Huntington, WV

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A little regimented, but you get used to it. Lots of opportunities to connect with customers and make the job pleasant for yourself as well. If you have an ownership outlook, you can probably advance if you are willing to move. Be professional in order to get along with management.

Cons

High turnover of part-time employees. Over-staffing makes it hard to get many hours. Expect to sweep floors, clean glass, and retrieve shopping carts as well as stand for hours at a time.

Appreciate your front-line employees with at least an encouraging word. Respect should go both ways.

The more involved the Worst It gets..

Former Employee - Cashier -≫ PT Manager-≫ Sales Floor-≫ Framing in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depends on the stores I really liked the people I worked with..
    Yearly Raises like 15-35 cents depending on how well you did
    Easy job..

Cons

They lie about promises. Was a temporary manager and told when the job would be open i would get it.. NOT true. I thought it was odd i had to interview against for the position i was told I would have. Even more odd when they told me, We decided to go with someone OLDER. This is also illegal to say.

My store manager was a weak leader. Let other lower managers push them around.
    The store manager was the main reason why I left. Within 2 months everyone in my department left. I was the last.

Took hours from framing department gave to the morning crew who also had more workers and hours than everyone else. Who didn't get their jobs done every Friday.

Suppose to be crossed trained.. I was the only crossed trained employee. I had to do everyone's job because no one else stepped up. So my worked started to fail

Suppose to get 30% emails per day... Everyone already has them so we just keep typing the same email over and over. It was originally 30 emails a day per store.. NOW its like 500

PLEASE double check who you are hiring for higher management. They will cause everyone in the store to quit.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores