Excellent Learning Experience

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service  in  Union City, CA
Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Union City, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Can cross train in many positions in the store.
Management is easy to approach.
Fun environment.
Plenty of activities where you can contribute.
Uniform is jeans and store t-shirt.

It is a great job for someone looking for their first job. I performed many positions in the store (sales associate, cashier, stocking, cake decorating instructor, etc.) and now this job is what stands out the most in my resume when it comes out to entry-level experience.

Cons

Worked some 3 hour shifts.
Minimun pay.
No benefits for part-time.
Not many full-time positions.

Other Reviews for Michaels Stores

Very laid back

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Being a cashier/ sales associate is going to be unenjoyable almost everywhere in retail, but it isn't so bad when you like the people you work with. I love everyone I work with, and all of my managers are very understanding and kind. They treat employees like human beings, not puppets.

Cons

Hourly pay for cashier/ sales associates is low. You do get raises within time, but that will take a great while to add up if you want to stay in the same position.

N/A

Zero training, but high expectations.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Some of the staff is very nice. They have an employee discount.

Cons

Zero training. I was thrown on the floor without any knowledge of what I was doing. Thankfully, I'd been a frequent customer there, so I knew where some things were located. My questions for management are never answered. They just tell me to ask the other manager about it. But, the training is the biggest con to working here. It's very hard to help customers properly when you have been given no tools to be able to do so. Also, I understand the need for headsets, but it is very frustrating to be trying to assist a customer when someone is talking in your ear, asking you to do something else.

Please provide mandatory training for new hires. I think it's very important to at least go over basics - such as safety training and where things are in the store. Just a few hours of good training can make a big difference.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!