There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

The more involved the Worst It gets..

Former Employee - Cashier -≫ PT Manager-≫ Sales Floor-≫ Framing in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depends on the stores I really liked the people I worked with..
Yearly Raises like 15-35 cents depending on how well you did
Easy job..

Cons

They lie about promises. Was a temporary manager and told when the job would be open i would get it.. NOT true. I thought it was odd i had to interview against for the position i was told I would have. Even more odd when they told me, We decided to go with someone OLDER. This is also illegal to say.

My store manager was a weak leader. Let other lower managers push them around.
The store manager was the main reason why I left. Within 2 months everyone in my department left. I was the last.

Took hours from framing department gave to the morning crew who also had more workers and hours than everyone else. Who didn't get their jobs done every Friday.

Suppose to be crossed trained.. I was the only crossed trained employee. I had to do everyone's job because no one else stepped up. So my worked started to fail

Suppose to get 30% emails per day... Everyone already has them so we just keep typing the same email over and over. It was originally 30 emails a day per store.. NOW its like 500

Advice to Management

PLEASE double check who you are hiring for higher management. They will cause everyone in the store to quit.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Stay busy and be on time for your shift at Michaels

Former Employee - Cashier in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Cashier in Huntington, WV

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A little regimented, but you get used to it. Lots of opportunities to connect with customers and make the job pleasant for yourself as well. If you have an ownership outlook, you can probably advance if you are willing to move. Be professional in order to get along with management.

Cons

High turnover of part-time employees. Over-staffing makes it hard to get many hours. Expect to sweep floors, clean glass, and retrieve shopping carts as well as stand for hours at a time.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your front-line employees with at least an encouraging word. Respect should go both ways.

2. Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and friendly, management uses positive reinforcement and rewards to get the best out of every employee and always is open to advice or suggestions. Hours are very flexible, and employee discounts are pretty nice.
    Overall it feels less like going to work with random people and more like a family, I love just about everyone I work with. They're awesome.

Cons

Not enough hours to go around, and there's never enough sales/floor associates around later in the evening to help customers. Hourly wage could be better too, but it's retail.

Advice to Management

Always be sure that every manager is telling new hires the same information. I've known a few that are still confused after a couple months on some really simple things.
    Also please let sales/floor associates know that when they're stocking or doing returns, not to flex product into empty spots randomly. It's becoming a problem for those of us who do truck shift to put restocked product away when there's overstock on the wrong shelf.