Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Could be better.

Cashier (Current Employee)
Evergreen Park, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsThis store is a decent opportunity for people looking for that "first job" to get their foot in the door for future endeavors. Creativity is everywhere, and that's great if you like that type of atmosphere. Beware though: Glitter is also everywhere. For the most part, coworkers are very helpful and warm.

ConsSometimes management can be very unhelpful. I have gotten complaints from customers almost every day that I work about a "terrible" manager or employee, and have been told that I do a better job than people who have been here much longer than I have. Expectations are not always clear, and when they are not met, fingers get pointed instead of something constructive being done. Support can be lacking, and it is very difficult to stay motivated when people are unwilling to help at all. I received very little training and had to figure many things out on my own, and have been outright blamed for messing up.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with the team, don't point fingers, and take time to teach those who need to learn.

I think it is or at least can be a great place to grow and stable job.

Manager (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Depending on who you are working with (like any job) it can be awesome and fun. I have personally learned a lot… Cons: As with any place it's numbers driven. Training for employees could overall be better as I've had a lot of new hires feel overwhelmed being… Advice to Senior Management: Invest more time in your people and chances are they… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros: good pay rate and training program Cons: not enough employees to get the job done. poor work/life balance Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.