Could be better.

Current Employee - Cashier in Evergreen Park, IL
Current Employee - Cashier in Evergreen Park, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This store is a decent opportunity for people looking for that "first job" to get their foot in the door for future endeavors. Creativity is everywhere, and that's great if you like that type of atmosphere. Beware though: Glitter is also everywhere. For the most part, coworkers are very helpful and warm.

Cons

Sometimes management can be very unhelpful. I have gotten complaints from customers almost every day that I work about a "terrible" manager or employee, and have been told that I do a better job than people who have been here much longer than I have. Expectations are not always clear, and when they are not met, fingers get pointed instead of something constructive being done. Support can be lacking, and it is very difficult to stay motivated when people are unwilling to help at all. I received very little training and had to figure many things out on my own, and have been outright blamed for messing up.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the team, don't point fingers, and take time to teach those who need to learn.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I think it is or at least can be a great place to grow and stable job.

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on who you are working with (like any job) it can be awesome and fun. I have personally learned a lot in a short amount if time and continue to learn more that I know I can take to other jobs and use.

Cons

As with any place it's numbers driven. Training for employees could overall be better as I've had a lot of new hires feel overwhelmed being just thrown into a job. Also invest more engagement time for employees it's a craft store customers want people who can really help them and have fun with it.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in your people and chances are they will go the extra mile for you.

2. Its retail, if you work hard, stay professional, and be upbeat you will have a great experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The like to promote within. Actually take feedback from employees.

Cons

Its retail.. not enough payroll, things change frequently, lots to do in a short amount of time.

Advice to Management

Stay upbeat, treat associates well, and be involved.