There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Its retail, if you work hard, stay professional, and be upbeat you will have a great experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The like to promote within. Actually take feedback from employees.

Cons

Its retail.. not enough payroll, things change frequently, lots to do in a short amount of time.

Advice to Management

Stay upbeat, treat associates well, and be involved.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Though it was short and ended due to medical reasons I really would of liked to continue working there.

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being interested in art and crafting to begin with drew me into applying for the job and what ultimately allowed me to have the opportunity to work there. I also got to meet people who were working on projects and help them find what they needed to make their goals a reality.

Cons

As with all Retail it is difficult to get hours just starting off and there is a period of time where the hours are few and you spend it learning how everything works.

Good place to work, for retail

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good employee discount, 25% on regular price items, and occasionally up to 50% during employee appreciation weeks.
    - Associates can take the classes for free (see Cons...)
    - Associates get to demonstrate certain craft projects for customers for a couple hours every few weeks, you get paid to paint/knit/crochet/etc!
    - Laid back atmosphere
    - Flexible hours
    - Can wear jeans, Michaels t-shirts (for now any color, but that may be changing)
    - Even part timers have an option for health insurance and a 401K
    - Associates wear radios to communicate with each other.
    - Store sales plan is announced through out the day so every associate can tell how the store is doing.
    - Email collection is their customer rewards program, much better than asking for credit card apps.
    Over all I like working here. It's retail so there are bad days, but it's better than other retail jobs I've had.

Cons

- Barely above minimum wage pay
    - Same cons as any other retail; the occasional nasty customer, mis-communication with managers and other higher ups,
    - Associates can take any course for free, but only one associate at a time, and depending on your instructors you may not offer a specific class. My store has had a cake decorating teacher since I've been there but the knitting, crocheting, jewelry and art classes have been more sporadic. If you like kids any associate can teach the kids courses, if you don't like kids this is a con.
    - Minimal training, another retail job I had gave you a whole manual to learn register, this was just an explanation by a manager who showed you how to do things, you were with someone for the first day or two and then let on your own.
    - Evening floor person always cleans bathrooms, evening framer sweeps the whole store
    - No PTO for part timers