Michaels Stores

Framing

Current Employee - Custom Framer in Manahawkin, NJ
Current Employee - Custom Framer in Manahawkin, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

enjoyable
colleagues are great
start @ $9/hr
typically alone in frame shop

Cons

raise once/year.
pay of pt framer is not much for what you do
should get some commission or bonuses @ some point - u don't

1151 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

I like the majority of who I work with but the non existence of training can really hurt your work performance sometimes

Current Employee - Cashier in Ukiah, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Ukiah, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like my coworkers. They don't overwork you hours wise, and you are pushed to take your breaks and lunches on time.

Cons

There is hardly any training except for on the job training which may not be very good, depending on who is working on your first day. You have to get to know the store by walking around and putting things away which isn't an option most of the time as a cashier. Even when you do get to know the store it changes constantly and things are always moving around which makes it difficult.

Hectic work environment

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount (25% off entire regular price purchase)

Managers help out with the same duties as associates (cashiering, cleaning, restocking)

If you work for them for awhile, they will be more accomodating with time off requests and shift changes for extenuating circumstances.

Cons

The coupon policy is a big problem. Customers don't read the fine print and our weekly ad sales change every week. I have had customers flat out demand that I give them coupons in advance of their validation date, or demand that I honor an expired coupon. Management discourages cashiers from giving customers coupons, unless "there's a long line" and the customer throws a temper tantrum. I have never seen such inconsistent policies. Often what I try to do is get the customer to use their smartphone to pull up coupons, so that I don't get disciplined later for being bullied into giving out coupons. Because of the poor Wi-Fi signal in the store, this smartphone coupon process takes a long time, and the customers often take it out on the cashiers.

As a cashier, even during the holiday season, I find myself inundated with customers, without support. There should always be at least two cashiers ringing at the front, regardless of line flow, because calling backup on the radio headsets for coworkers to ring is like pulling teeth (many coworkers prefer working the floor to dealing with irate customers).

The work schedule changes every week and is posted on Wednesday afternoons for the next calendar week (which runs Sunday through Saturday), which makes it difficult to get a second job and maintain a work-life balance. If you are scheduled to work through Saturday, you will find out on Wednesday of that week that you are also working Sunday.

The training is sink-or-swim. An experienced sales associate helps you for the first day, but is frequently called off to the floor to assist with other duties (gathering carts, restocking, fielding customer questions) so you are often left holding the bag. Seasonal employees get the least training while they are dealing with the most petulant customers. It is intimidating to ask your coworkers for help when you are starting out because their attitude is "don't bother me, solve it yourself"; but if you make a mistake, then you get yelled at for not asking for clarification. A new cashier winds up getting yelled at by the cranky customer and the irritated coworker. I have had two MODs who have backed me up when a customer was wrong about a discount and took it out on me. If you have worked there for over six months, your coworkers will gradually start to act friendly towards you (I say this with the exception of the framing department and the replenishment crew, who have always been very courteous and warm to me).

Publish an Employee Training Manual with consistent procedures that do not change every week so employees can refer to it when they are training. The changing policies cause a great deal of confusion, particularly when there are long lines of customers. Every associate should know how to do all of the cashiering procedures, rather than having them direct their questions to the overextended MOD.

Enforce meal and rest breaks regardless of the number of customers during the busy holiday season.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores