Corrupt Management

Current Employee - Cashier/Classroom Instructor
Current Employee - Cashier/Classroom Instructor

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I believe Michaels is a good company to work for. I get to be creative in my job, I also get to step out from behind a cash register to participate in Demos and Classes. It's a lot of fun.

Cons

DRAMA! The employees talk a lot of trash. Even the Assistant Manager at my store gets involved in drama and gossip. I have been asked to work off the clock. I teach a class, and while all other instructors get 90% of the class tuition, I have been asked to teach the class on my normal hourly salary. I've also been asked to work off of the clock to clean up the classroom and get it prepared for parties. Which adds about an extra hour of work. So i basically get paid $15 to deal with rowdy kids, clean up after them and set up birthday parties for 3 hours. It's ILLEGAL! And when I try to tell my AM that it's against the employee handbook, she threatens to write me up. I honestly feel like this woman is in a constant power struggle. My store manager is AMAZING! The shift managers are AMAZING! But this woman is worse than a lethal injection. She's mean, rude, corrupt and power hungry.

Advice to Management

Watch out for your management! Actually talk to the employees and find out how things are going for them. A lot of the times, people will show you what you want to see so they can get promoted. They even keep up the facade when you're around. But if you talk to the employees, you will get to see how that manager really is. Like I said, my store manager is absolutely amazing. She is the best boss I've ever had. She really makes the job enjoyable and she is honestly an inspiration. But my AM is so bad, she makes me want to quit my job.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. Very good experience

Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment and people. Company values team and feedback. Reasonable work life balance for retail. Overall good company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes get lost in a large company with frequent upper management changes in the last couple of years Depending on where you are some management more worried about looking good than being good.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you are on. Keep your core values

2. Supportive environment to teach cake decorating classes

Former Contractor - Wilton Instructor
    Former Contractor - Wilton Instructor

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Room was always unlocked and stocked with ample chairs and table space. This made teaching very easy for both me and my students.

Cons

Did not fully advertise educational classes and if you did not get a minimum number of individuals to sign up for classes you did not get to teach that particular month.

Advice to Management

Keep teaching rooms free of overstock products