Michaels Stores
www.michaels.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Corrupt Management

Cashier/Classroom Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsI believe Michaels is a good company to work for. I get to be creative in my job, I also get to step out from behind a cash register to participate in Demos and Classes. It's a lot of fun.

ConsDRAMA! The employees talk a lot of trash. Even the Assistant Manager at my store gets involved in drama and gossip. I have been asked to work off the clock. I teach a class, and while all other instructors get 90% of the class tuition, I have been asked to teach the class on my normal hourly salary. I've also been asked to work off of the clock to clean up the classroom and get it prepared for parties. Which adds about an extra hour of work. So i basically get paid $15 to deal with rowdy kids, clean up after them and set up birthday parties for 3 hours. It's ILLEGAL! And when I try to tell my AM that it's against the employee handbook, she threatens to write me up. I honestly feel like this woman is in a constant power struggle. My store manager is AMAZING! The shift managers are AMAZING! But this woman is worse than a lethal injection. She's mean, rude, corrupt and power hungry.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out for your management! Actually talk to the employees and find out how things are going for them. A lot of the times, people will show you what you want to see so they can get promoted. They even keep up the facade when you're around. But if you talk to the employees, you will get to see how that manager really is.

Like I said, my store manager is absolutely amazing. She is the best boss I've ever had. She really makes the job enjoyable and she is honestly an inspiration. But my AM is so bad, she makes me want to quit my job.

Michaels -don't trust them!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Coworkers, we actually got along pretty well. The actual job was okay most of… Cons: Company spends too much on stuff that isn't needed, like 5 star, excess signage, etc.., what a waste. And paying bonuses to managers, while it's… Advice to Senior Management: Don't spend money on stuff that isn't needed, like pedometers and pens, it's wasteful. We know you don't appreciate us, so don't try to convince… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

I would look for growth at this company

Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: work life balance is ok, if you're not in mgmt.… Cons: no training for anything, you're just pushed into the work and expected… Advice to Senior Management: get your thoughts together, spend more payroll hrs. to meet expectations, it's a race against the clock to get things in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Michaels Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Michaels Stores CEO Chuck Rubin . All reviews posted anonymously by Michaels Stores employees.