There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

It's a decent place to work for artists waiting who need another day job and a little extra money.

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

The company offered a lot of discounts at affiliated stores even for seasonal workers, and the hours were decently flexible, considering. The management was also fairly understanding if anything came up and an employee had to miss work. Overall, they treated their employees decently most of the time, and usually left us alone to do our jobs. We could always call a manager to explain something to a customer, and we were treated considerately, even if we broke a rule.

Cons

The store that I worked at was extremely unorganized, and I regularly got pulled aside for breaking policies of which I wasn't even informed. They were constantly changing, and which policies were actually enforced seemed to vary day to day. One day a minor dress code infraction was a major offense, the next it was completely over looked. I was never sure what I was supposed to be doing at a given time, or if I might be forgetting a step that was billed to me as mundane that was actually terribly important. And scheduling was a nightmare for seasonal. We had less than a week notice what our schedules would be, which made making plans or having another job nearly impossible.

Some of the hoops cashiers had to jump through for simple acts of customer service were ridiculous, and a lot of things could have been streamlined and made easier, such as even adding a machine for checks so we were not forced to fill them out ever time and risk getting in trouble for missing something. In addition, the sales department was laughably understaffed, and the cashiers were always on the brink of crisis with how few people they had staffed.

Honestly, it's like working for Wal-Mart (with equally bad pay) with slightly nicer clientele and better discounts to more places. It's a decent job if you really need one though.

Advice to Management

Michael's is an art store, not Wal-Mart. There's no need to treat employees like disposable objects, or to be open on Thanksgiving, or to force so few people to work awful hours. Be different from all those other horrible retailers that get bad press all the time. Also, invest in more art classes for more people, and advertise them more heavily. A lot of people are interested in those, but we offer so few at such strange times, people couldn't take them.

Also, healthcare. Really? Minimum care even for full time, with as little as they make? That's just cold. Refusing to give decent care to part time workers is bad enough, but giving terrible healthcare to full time employees and not even giving them stipends if they chose to purchase healthcare from another source? That's just awful.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Multi-tasking a must!

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

A busy shift meaning the workday zooms by.
    Friendly co-workers
    Customers can be interesting

Cons

Very little training given yet you are expected to know everything. Seems like store mgrs are always rushed and frazzled. It is a very frenetic and sometimes emotionally draining environment. You get the feeling you are not valued as a person at times. Constant turnover.

Advice to Management

Provide better training for employees. Treat low end employees with some respect and you may increase morale a bit!

2. Good place to work if you like crafts, and don't need to pay bills

Current Employee - Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Support Specialist

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts are good. Hours are somewhat flexible.

Cons

Pay rate is the federal minimum. Hours get cut when sales are low with little to no notice. Pay raises are very small. While store managers are treated and paid well by the company all other employees are treated as disposable.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with a little more respect