There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

It's a decent place to work for artists waiting who need another day job and a little extra money.

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

The company offered a lot of discounts at affiliated stores even for seasonal workers, and the hours were decently flexible, considering. The management was also fairly understanding if anything came up and an employee had to miss work. Overall, they treated their employees decently most of the time, and usually left us alone to do our jobs. We could always call a manager to explain something to a customer, and we were treated considerately, even if we broke a rule.

Cons

The store that I worked at was extremely unorganized, and I regularly got pulled aside for breaking policies of which I wasn't even informed. They were constantly changing, and which policies were actually enforced seemed to vary day to day. One day a minor dress code infraction was a major offense, the next it was completely over looked. I was never sure what I was supposed to be doing at a given time, or if I might be forgetting a step that was billed to me as mundane that was actually terribly important. And scheduling was a nightmare for seasonal. We had less than a week notice what our schedules would be, which made making plans or having another job nearly impossible. Some of the hoops cashiers had to jump through for simple acts of customer service were ridiculous, and a lot of things could have been streamlined and made easier, such as even adding a machine for checks so we were not forced to fill them out ever time and risk getting in trouble for missing something. In addition, the sales department was laughably understaffed, and the cashiers were always on the brink of crisis with how few people they had staffed. Honestly, it's like working for Wal-Mart (with equally bad pay) with slightly nicer clientele and better discounts to more places. It's a decent job if you really need one though.

Advice to Management

Michael's is an art store, not Wal-Mart. There's no need to treat employees like disposable objects, or to be open on Thanksgiving, or to force so few people to work awful hours. Be different from all those other horrible retailers that get bad press all the time. Also, invest in more art classes for more people, and advertise them more heavily. A lot of people are interested in those, but we offer so few at such strange times, people couldn't take them. Also, healthcare. Really? Minimum care even for full time, with as little as they make? That's just cold. Refusing to give decent care to part time workers is bad enough, but giving terrible healthcare to full time employees and not even giving them stipends if they chose to purchase healthcare from another source? That's just awful.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Coppell, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, friendly and outgoing environment, not stuffy like some businesses. Ideas/suggestions always welcomed, and some implemented.

Cons

Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to part time after they've been there for a certain period of time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture! Always was a fun place to work, didn't feel like work, and the people there made it easy to do my job!

2. It really depends on your store and how they manage it

Current Employee - Everything in Rossford, OH
    Current Employee - Everything in Rossford, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company with a 25% employee discount. Its pretty laid back and if you work the floor, part of your job is talking with customers about their projects and helping them find what they need (I think its fun).

Cons

The discrepancies between stores is outrageous, and how they communicate with other stores and within their own management can be really, REALLY bad.

Advice to Management

Advice to COMPANY: Have either an undercover employee who can monitor your management, or have your District Manager visits last a day instead of an hour. Inter-management communication at some of your stores is so bad, I am seriously considering leaving all together after almost 6 years working with great to awful store managers.