There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Michaels is a solid employer with opportunities for growth - for the right skillset.

Current Employee - Manager - Associate Communication in Irving, TX
Current Employee - Manager - Associate Communication in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong employer with growth potential. Reasonably fair in how it treats its associates. The company has a strong focus on its customers, and capable management. Though in debt, the company manages the debt well.

Cons

Culture can be difficult for some. High performance expectations can mean pressure is placed on associates to perform. Like many retailers, the challenge is to do more with less.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Corrupt Management

Current Employee - Cashier/Classroom Instructor
    Current Employee - Cashier/Classroom Instructor

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I believe Michaels is a good company to work for. I get to be creative in my job, I also get to step out from behind a cash register to participate in Demos and Classes. It's a lot of fun.

Cons

DRAMA! The employees talk a lot of trash. Even the Assistant Manager at my store gets involved in drama and gossip. I have been asked to work off the clock. I teach a class, and while all other instructors get 90% of the class tuition, I have been asked to teach the class on my normal hourly salary. I've also been asked to work off of the clock to clean up the classroom and get it prepared for parties. Which adds about an extra hour of work. So i basically get paid $15 to deal with rowdy kids, clean up after them and set up birthday parties for 3 hours. It's ILLEGAL! And when I try to tell my AM that it's against the employee handbook, she threatens to write me up. I honestly feel like this woman is in a constant power struggle. My store manager is AMAZING! The shift managers are AMAZING! But this woman is worse than a lethal injection. She's mean, rude, corrupt and power hungry.

Advice to Management

Watch out for your management! Actually talk to the employees and find out how things are going for them. A lot of the times, people will show you what you want to see so they can get promoted. They even keep up the facade when you're around. But if you talk to the employees, you will get to see how that manager really is.

Like I said, my store manager is absolutely amazing. She is the best boss I've ever had. She really makes the job enjoyable and she is honestly an inspiration. But my AM is so bad, she makes me want to quit my job.

Michaels -don't trust them!

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers, we actually got along pretty well. The actual job was okay most of the time. Some customers were genuine & pleasant. I don't have to shop there anymore.

Cons

Company spends too much on stuff that isn't needed, like 5 star, excess signage, etc.., what a waste. And paying bonuses to managers, while it's really the employees that work the hardest so the manager can get those big bonuses while we may get up to a 25 cent raise if that. They can close your store for no reason. Don't trust them! They don't care about their employees. Late trucks are common.

Advice to Management

Don't spend money on stuff that isn't needed, like pedometers and pens, it's wasteful. We know you don't appreciate us, so don't try to convince us that you do by giving us more cheap stuff from China. Concentrate on your store employees and what they need to get the job done in the stores. Employees are the real assets. Treat them better. All these changes to SOPs every year are a waste too. Oh, and how about supporting the USA and buying more items made in the United States. And put the help desk back in the United States too.