Friendly atmosphere with quick promotions

Former Employee - Cashier  in  London, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Cashier in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Helpful staff made integration easy. Fast paced and never boring. Employee appreciation discounts and perks.

Cons

Little to no training, disorganized at times, often short-staffed.

More training/help should be provided to employees. More staff working at a time needed and too many responsibilities for cashier working alone (answering all phone calls, cleaning, returns, serving long line of customers at the same time.)

Other Reviews for Michaels Stores

Not a bad place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting, fulfilling, enjoyable, higher than minimum wage.

Cons

High expectations, short staffing, and lazy coworkers.

Communicate, and treat employees with respect.

Appalling

Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

My replenishment team was great. We all worked very hard and got along well. Employee discount was very good as well.

Cons

This was quite honestly the worst part time job I ever held. I went into this position with hope, because I wanted a local job that I could walk or bike to. By mid-autumn favouritism became the way of the managers. If you played like them, for example, flinging sparkles at each other when stocking the Christmas picks, then you found yourself in the favoured crowd. The favoured crowd benefitted from more hours, week to week.

The worst for me was when I applied for another position within the store and the store manager and customer experience manager sat side by side, and as I answered questions the customer experience manager was rolling her eyes. I withdrew my application a few days later, after thinking about how it would be to have to work with someone like that.

I was planning on looking for new employment in March of 2014, but an opportunity arose so I gave my notice. Neither the store manager or customer experience manager spoke to me after that. On my last day, I said good morning to the customer experience manager and she walked right by me.

I have had plenty of experience with customer service having years of retail and more recently front line government and service positions. What I witnessed was so horrible I consider Michaels the black hole that was seven months of my life.

The managers together are like those mean girls in high school who corner you in the girls change room and tell you how lame you are. They all need to grow up and take some sensitivity training, or maybe stop sniffing the Scensicles.

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!