Michigan Works! Berrien-Cass-Van Buren

Good springboard job

Current Employee - Career Developer
Current Employee - Career Developer

I have been working at Michigan Works! Berrien-Cass-Van Buren

Pros

The office that I work in has a great environment and sense of teamwork. We all pitch in to get the job done even if that means having to step outside your box. They are very supportive of work/life balance and realize that sometimes you have to take time off to keep your sanity in check. Overall the organization has a great mission and feel to it.

Cons

People tend to be promoted and recognized based on looks and who they know in upper management. Employees who work in outlying sites tend to get little to no recognition and communication of internal changes does not get relayed to outlying sites. The organization is constantly changing, which is great, but those changes have to be relayed effectively to the people doing the job. Additionally, we tend to get an "intern" on board who is a relative of someone in management and then all of a sudden they end up in a upper management position. Weird how that happens.

Quit promoting people because you know them or they are relative. Promote from within as much as possible. Spend more time investing in those employees who are going to offer a good return on investment and who actually do their job and do it well.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Michigan Works! Berrien-Cass-Van Buren (View Most Recent)

Personally and professionally rewarding

I worked at Michigan Works! Berrien-Cass-Van Buren

Pros

Knowing you are helping people improve their lives by providing education and career coaching was great, especially during tough economic times. Helping local businesses get access to skilled workers was also very rewarding.

Cons

The problems created by state funding and leadership changes were the worst. Constant monitoring and program measurements that didn't provide incentive or reflect what was really needed in the communities we were serving. The politics really got in the way of progress and impact.

Do the right thing. Be entrepreneurial and innovative. Listen to those you serve.

Great job for a great cause!

Current Employee - Director of Community Relations in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Director of Community Relations in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Michigan Works! Berrien-Cass-Van Buren

Pros

We are a very progressive, non-profit workforce development organization that provides free services to employers, jobseekers, and youth in Southwest Michigan. We've gone above and beyond to be a catalyst for economic health and community change and it's very rewarding work!

Cons

We change a lot and it's hard to keep up sometimes. We some times struggle to make sure everyone throughout the organization is well informed. We are trying to address these problems, but it definitely takes a lot of time and effort.

Leadership should continue to be open to postive and negative feedback from staff at all levels of the organization, and make sure to respond.

There are newer employer reviews for Michigan Works! Berrien-Cass-Van Buren